Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:30 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I just received a beautiful 2nd Version Mitchell this afternoon. The seller in France honestly told me that the reel did not work properly which was OK and I bought it for a steal. So here's my problem.
Attachment:
Mitchell 2nd Version 1.jpg

The bail return spring is home-made and I bent some spring steel to what it should be...which is also home-made :sCh_taz: . This works - kind of, so while I have a number of 3rd Version Mitchell bail return springs, they're not the same. If any Mate out there has a NOS or nice used Part # 19 as seen in the below link, I would be happy to buy, trade or come to your home and do yard work for one.
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... chematics#
Please help me make this beautiful old Mitchell whole again.
Attachment:
Mitchell 2nd Version.jpg

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:06 pm • #  

Chris,

I looked though all my parts and this was all I could come up with.

Randy
:sCo_uhm:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:03 pm • #  

Hello Chris,

I have the spring that you are looking for.
He is on an old spool in bad condition (see photo) that I have in my drawers.
I can disassemble this spring and send it to you in a letter (Christmas and end of year gift).
Send me your address on my personal email (the one you have) and I will post the letter.
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
Ressort 2M.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:44 pm • #  

Chris, she is a beauty...did you happen to photo the transfer gear?

As we say in the states, "Christian to the rescue"!

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:11 pm • #  

Happy Holidays Chris,
Very nice reel. I ran into the same problem with one or more 2nd version reels. I'm glad Christian is helping you out. Nice addition to your collection.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:36 pm • #  

Hello Christian,

Thank you so very much my friend. It's very kind of you to offer such a rare item and I am very grateful. I honestly had little hope of finding that spring and was going to search for a very rough condition 2nd Version Mitchell in hope of salvaging the spring but even those reels in poor condition are hard to find and do not come cheap.

THIS!! Mates is an example of why the Mitchell Museum and our Forum is so important to so many of us. A wonderful group of Collectors and Enthusiasts freely exchanging information, parts, research. Many, I consider good friends even though I have never met them in person. I, like many of you have freely given and received parts with pleasure knowing we were helping a Mate and keeping an old Mitchell original / functional - but for those of you that don't know, not many parts as rare as this spring! Christian, you are always one of the first to have an answer to the hard Mitchell questions, provide insight into any particular reel, advertising, documentation or part and you have made us all more knowledgeable and insightful Collectors and Enthusiasts. Thank you for that too :sSig_youtheman:.

Randy, Sandman and Dennis, thanks for looking and the kind comments. This 2nd version is one of the nicer ones I've seen.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:40 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
I just love it when things come together! :sFun_bananachaplin:
I made a pass in my parts box earlier today, but they were all 3rd version springs.

Chris,It would be hard to add to your statement about the importance of all the contributions that our mates, but I'm in full agreement of everything point you made.

I just love that reel!. It would be a great addition to any collection, and a SPECIAL one. Congatulations!

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:22 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Thank you Ted for the kind comment.

Sandman, I didn't initially think of the transfer gear but I did note that it was the same as the # 6 gear that Wallace documented when I had it apart and cleaning it up. Here are a couple of photos of this reel - just pulled it apart to ensure documentation.
Attachment:
2nd Transfer Gear.jpg

Attachment:
2nd Transfer Gear 1.jpg

I'm always amazed at how smooth these early Mitchells are....this one is flawless in operation and pretty nice to look at too :sHa_okay:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:45 pm • #  

Thanks for the transfer gear photos...really clean inside too...doesn't look like it has allot of use...

All attributes are consistent with a mid production 2nd version...A fine example and great collectible. and you could fish it too...I know what you mean about the smoothness of the versions...often smoother operating than many later 300s...I find this in early Salt Water reels also...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

This afternoon I received the impossible to find 2nd Version bail return spring from our Mate, Christian. Here's my home-made spring installed - it worked but if you spun the rotor fast, the half-bail chattered badly.
Attachment:
2nd Spring.jpg

This is the comparison of factory original as opposed to my spring steel home made.
Attachment:
2nd Spring 1.jpg

And Christian's factory original spring installed.
Attachment:
2nd Spring 2.jpg

As Sandman noted, this reel has been lightly used and is in very nice condition. It now operates like it just came from the Mitchell factory - very crisp bail......A special "Thank You" again to our Mate, Christian for bringing this old Mitchell back to original perfection. One of my favorite reels in my collection.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
It's a great thing when we can help each other.
Many Thanks to Christian for providing a very hard to find part.

This is a great way to start off a new year, restoring an old soldier.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm • #  

Hello Chris,
When I see the pictures, I think the spring is better on your reel than on my rotating head in bad condition.
Happy that it contributed to the restoration of a legend Mitchell.
Best regards to everyone.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply