Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
New member here. Getting acquainted with MRM. Looked under [u]Mitchell For Sale[/u] tab for reels sold in U.K. on Ebay. Saw several reels I am interested in but they all say "Will not Post to USA". Anyone know why this is? Is it because of customs, cost of shipping to USA?
Is there any way to purchase U.K. reels and go through a third party that will handle shipping and customs? How do the experienced, knowledgeable collectors deal with this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm • #  
Global Moderator

GreatLaker,
I have met several tackle sellers that have complained that they had more bad experiences selling items outside the US than they did inside the US. Maybe, the same thing has happened to sellers shipping to the US? Bad experiences can make people a bit leery.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:47 am • #  

Hello Greatlaker . This subject strikes a cord with me too, over many years of collecting, buying , selling mainly Mitchells over a 11 year period on ebay . The amount of sellers in United States of America that would not and will not sell/ship to anywhere outside of their country left me perplexed . Reason being for me was, I have sold reels all over the world hundreds of them actually without any major issues of course some countries you try and avoid but anyway the American reluctance to sell /ship off shore
I suppose in part is explained by the massive population and amount of Mitchell an other reels available They have their own market no need to sell elsewhere ? On the postage costs I just negotiated the purchase of a Nib 306 pro from Belgium to Australia get this 73 Dollars Australian . The seller shared some of the cost and the reel is Perfect. Cheers Tracey.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 am • #  

Ted,
Makes sense but, is this the norm and then that's the end of it? Is there no safe way to conduct business from continent to continent? Maybe what is needed is a global service that can make it 100% safe world wide. Maybe such a service already exists? I am going to investigate further.

Tracey,
It is perplexing. I'm not an eBay seller and maybe that is where I'm missing the big picture on this. One would think the larger the market the better the price but this might not ring true.
Too bad there isn't someone in each country that could handle shipping and customs for buyers and sellers. I wonder if Ebay has anything like this or maybe PayPal? Will look into it and let you know if I find anything.

Kind Regards,
Bill
:sHa_okay:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:07 pm • #  
Global Moderator

GreatLaker,
Ebay does have a Global Shipping Program where eBay acts as the middle man between the stateside seller and the overseas buyer, but I haven't heard from anyone about how well it either does, or doesn't work.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:05 pm • #  

Hello GreatLaker and Mates,

It has been my experience that sending the seller a message through eBay politely explaining your interest in what they are selling and asking if they would consider shipping to the U.S. (specify state) works well. I have purchased from all over the world and can honestly say personal contact works 90% of the time even with those that state in their ad that they don't ship to the U.S.. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 am • #  

Chris,
Thanks Mate I will give it a shot and post if I have any luck or not.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 am • #  

As stated above the best way is a polite ebay message explaining your interested in their item , i used to buy compound bows from the usa and most were' sell within the us' only sales , if you have paypal and good feedback and are prepared to cover the shipping i would think most sellers would relish the deal .
The global shipping program works well also , the seller just ships as per normal the buyer pays the extra cost on checkout to ebay and the item then is sent to a shipping centre and then on to the buyer but to do that the seller needs to have ticked the relevant boxes at listing time .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings landkeeper,
:sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum!
Thanks for your insight on the issue. This may help tear down the walls that some have built.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 pm • #  

landkeeper,
Welcome to the Class of 2017 - growing by the minute! :sSig_welcome2:

Thanks for the input. I'm starting to get a lot better feeling about UK purchases.
Kind Regards,
Bill
:tup

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 pm • #  

Thanks gentlemen not a new user but a long time lurker , :sFun_shocked:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:22 pm • #  

Mates,
Well hats off to Ted, Chris, and landkeeper. :sBo_bounce2:
I wrote a polite message to a UK seller who did not ship to the US. I explained I am a collector and was interested in his reel. (A Mitchell 300C raised numbers)
Sure enough, he said yes, I won the auction, and am sitting here admiring my new reel.
Once again MRM Mates come through! :sBo_bouncing2:
Worked For Me mates THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
Kind Regards,
Bill

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm • #  

Hi Great Laker, I guess that just goes to show that you can catch more bees with honey than with lemons , great catch on the 300C ,I love mine! Regards John in Pa.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm • #  

Hi John,
I agree with you. :clap
Say, if you also have a 300C raised lettering, would you possibly have the box and paperwork/etc.? :sBo_bounce2:
I would love to see what the box/etc. looks like. :tup
If you do have it could you possibly start another thread with pics? :sCh_fisherman:
Kind Regards,
Bill
:sSig_thankyou:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 am • #  

Hello Again John
Never mind about the pic of the 300c Raised Letter reel box, I just noticed there is a pic right here in the MRM. :sEm_oops:
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... tegory/463
Note to self: Always Check The MRM First!!! :blush
Kind Regards,
Bill

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply