Introduction

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Johnny

Introduction

Post by Johnny »

Hello All,
Introducing myself: Englishman, mid 50s, living in the State of Nebraska, USA.
I've had a Mitchell 300 for about 10 years and, having used a variety of other, more modern, reels, have come to respect the Mitchell above them all: bought three more (so now have four, dating from 1957 to 1968) and even a mint-condition in the original box etc. etc. Mitchell 320 (originally bought it to give to my 13-yr-old daughter as a working reel, but given its collection quality, didn't--still in the market for a used one for her).
I've begun teaching myself to maintain my reels--great fun, very satisfying.
Here's what I do--tell me whether I'm doing anything wrong:
Cleaning: denatured alcohol, tooth brush, pipe cleaner for the axle shaft.
Greasing: a mixture of 2 parts power steering fluid to 1 part automotive grease (Valvoline Red, a recipe I found on the internet). I apply the grease stingily with a model paint brush.
Does that sound right?
Cheers to all,
Johnny.

Note: how common is it to find a stray shim embedded in the old, excessively-applied grease? a former owner must have had poor eyesight...

Bonanza

Re: Introduction

Post by Bonanza »

Hi Johnny,

I really don’t see anything wrong in your approach to the service of you reel, There are a couple things I would suggest to help your process. Denatured alcohol is very evaporative and can be a single use cleaner. I use WD40 liquid (not spray). It allows me to reuse for along time. Wallace had suggested Goo-gone, never used but probably equally effective. After being in the chemical industry for 40 years (retired) petroleum based lubes like you are making are very effective but tend to dry out. Might want to look for other fishing reel lubes that are non-sticky. I like and use Aqua-lube. There are others out there, I do know that Penn has some. Hope this is helpful. Welcome to the group mate!

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Welcome to the Museum,

My first Mitchell was a320. I bought it because I was a newly married Canadian Navy guy who couldn’t afford a 300. I believe I paid $17 or so for it. The 300 cost $30 at that time. It was a good little reel. I lent it to someone who never returned it.

I would look for a 324. It is basically the same reel except for it having an improved antireverse and removable spool, like the 300 has. These both are more like a 308 than a 300, light duty. I only used mine for Brook Trout fishing. Both reels are a good choice. So is a 304, 314, round bodied Mitchells.

When you find a shim, just put it back where it belongs. Not realising where shims are on a 300 series reel is a common oversight when first starting to overhaul Mitchell reels.

:text-welcomewave:

Best wishes

G. Glen Simpson,
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Thank you both for sound advice!