otomatic? no serial number

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
[email protected]

otomatic? no serial number

Post by [email protected] »

i have an old auto bail mitchell (it was my fathers) it comes with 2 x 4 spoke spools and has no mitchell id at all the only marking i can find are the letters LM on the inside of the cover plate
can anyone help me identify it and maybe tell me how to obtain an owners manual
thanks
matthew

piscesman

Re: otomatic? no serial number

Post by piscesman »

Matthew, Welcome to the site.. :text-welcomeconfetti: If there is no serial number even very faint on the bottom of the foot you can check another location. Looking at the non-handle side of the reel, setting down with the foot pointing up check at the top side of the reel. There should be a serial number there. Wipe away any grease and inspect with good lighting. If still no serial number, then the reel body was probably replaced, and replacement bodies never had serial numbers. Hope this helps.............
Kim

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

matthew,
How about posting a couple of photos of your reel?
Kind Regards,
Bill

[email protected]

hi people found some more info on my reel, ive cleaned it and found what i think is conformation that it is an otomatic
on the side casing i can see the "MITCHELL" logo in the looped writing and below that i can just about make out 3 3 then corrosion then an o and what could be a t all in lower case then i think i can see a c under the last l of the "MITCHELL" ive searched for a serial no but in the eighties i sanded down the pitted paintwork(due to my using it for mullet fishing and not cleaning it) so prob sanded it away (my bad)
i have both spare spools (4 spoke) and one spool case marked "large"
i love this reel and have no intention of selling it, i have used it for 48 years and intend to keep using it until ^
any thoughts?
thank you

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

matthew,
Sounds like a very special reel and we would love to see it.

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

[email protected]

as soon as i have finished restoring it i will try and post some pics not very good with tech stuff but will have a go
thanks people
Matt