Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 am • #  

Chaps,
I'm embarking on a bit of a 402 project having bought a lovely reel from Roy on here i'm now looking to make some rather radical mods to make it more usable on the beach.
What i need is either a scruffy complete reel for spare parts or just the handle side plate,with main drive gear and anti reverse mech and screws.Can anybody help?

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff

I am pleased to hear that you are happy with the condition of that 402 mate. I can't quite work out what you are trying to achieve with your radical mods, I'll call you one evening and have a chat about it.

As you know 402's are few and far between on this side of the pond, I'll keep an eye open for you but I think you may have to import one.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:12 am • #  

Roy,
They're just bolt-ons really.
Firstly i'll be fitting a PUM which i've sourced from the States-basically the bigger roller will help eradicate line twist and dispence with the rather delicate bail and tiny roller that doesn't really roll.Second mod involves the fitting of a cross wind gear -originally available as a genuine spare part,but I've sourced a copy from the U.S.On spec the more complicated planatic line lay system should be better than standard cross wind,and it works well on the 308 and 306, but apparently this is not the case on 302/402(i agree) and most surf fishers in the states who still use these reels(lots) go for this mod.It gives a flatter and more even line profile.
I'll also be replacing some of the drag washers with Penn fibre ones-drags on the beach in the U.K aren't really tested to the full,but i do a lot of smoothound fishing with a light beach rod and they are more than capable of taking line.
Finally,I'll be fitting a handle cover plate and main gear on to the R.H side of the reel in place of the plain side plate.The gear only acts as an idler but again,according to the U.S gurus,strengthens the reel as a whole,and ,not quite sure how, smooths it out.
Just a bit of fun really but I do intend to give this reel some serious beach use.The reel will easily be able to return to original spec if necessary.I'll let you know how I get on.
Sadly i missed a couple of 302's on ebay which would have been great for this purpose -maybe a few more will come up but i agree,i might have to get one in from over the pond!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 am • #  

Sorry I don't know how to create links but if you copy and paste these into your browser you mind find them of interest.

http://emeraldcoastpierfishing.myfastfo ... t1611.html

http://emeraldcoastpierfishing.myfastfo ... 0-asc-.php

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:35 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff

Now I see what you are doing mate, good luck with that one.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm • #  

Roy,
Just carried out the D-I-Y crosswind mod using that spare cam ring-it does make a suprising difference to the line lay( much flatter) but i still think i can improve it by slightly altering the height of the spool.It seems this can be done by moving the positions of the drag washers-think i'll wait until the PUM arrives and try that first.In the meantime i'm 'shimmying 'around with those old 300s-.
.It's interesting that the planamatic system works better on the 306/308 and related models.I use 15lb mono on my 306 for bassing and it has a much better line lay pattern than the 402 with planamatic using the same line.I suppose that's why Mitchell marketed the crosswind gear as an option.
Most modern fixed spool reels have a sophisticated slowly oscillating spool and superb line lays but,one of the most expensive reels in the world made by Van Staal still uses a simple crosswind system-interesting eh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:31 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff

You really are enjoying yourself aren't you mate and you are no doubt learning that the more you look into these things, the more there is to see.
Interesting that you are getting better line lay with 306 than with 402 and I wonder if others have found the same. It's well known in manufacturing that you can't please everyone but with so many different models and options, Mitchell sure tried hard to do that didn't they.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:09 am • #  

ImageImageI suspect the 306 works better with the planamatic  because the size of the spool is suited to  say .15lb mono.Similarly my 308 loads perfectly with 6-8lb mono.I think the 402 would lay 25-30 lb o.k with the planamatic but as i'm using 15lb  i'll go with the crosswind system.Interestingly the crosswind seems a popular mod with 306 users in the states as well.
Yes i'm having fun Roy,but it maybe down to fishing frustration-the beach at the back of my house is a bit barren at this time of year and the rivers that i fish for pike are flooded from snow melt and more recently heavy rain.What does any keen angler do when he can't get out fishing....................play with his tackle!

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply