Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:13 pm • #  

Hi All,

New to this forum. I have a Mitchell 300 reel, circa 1955 (S/N 836467) that is new in original box, with instruction manual and even the little oil catching pad still in the bottom of the box. I orignally got two of these and have been using the twin for years. Wonderful reel.

Anyhow, I am considering selling this new one at some point. Anyone have any pointers? It doesn't seem to need anything done to it. I took it out and cranked it and it runs smooth.

Will try and attach a photo.

Attachment:
Mitchell1955.JPG

Rick McMorran
Colorado

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 pm • #  

Oh, and would like any information such as, does this look like the original box for a 1955 model 300, right owners manual, etc.

Thanks!
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:06 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Rick,
Welcome to the forum.
IMHO ,your picture it looks like you may have a matching box top for a non-Garcia Mitchell 300.
The reels of this period that were imported by Garcia had paper Garcia labels glued on the end of the box and a small stick-on Garcia label above the handle.
The only thing that sounds a bit off is that you state that there was a little oil catching pad in the bottom of the box. Small square pads glue to the box bottom where the reel sets is something that is found, usually, only up to the 3rd version boxes. Without finding out more about this padded bottom, there is a possible mismatch of bottom with the box top.
When selling these great reels, condition is a major factor determinding the value. It is best that the reel has no signs of being mounted on a rod, and has no chips or other problems elsewher on the reel.
The booklet you have is one that I have never seen, but it may be correct for a non-Garcia Mitchell that would have been sold somewhere outside the USA.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm • #  

Ted,

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing on the reel, box or manual that mentions Garcia. The little pad in the box is round and not square. I don't see anything on the reel that looks like it was ever on a rod or used. I don't see any date on the manual.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachment:
DSC_0201 (2).JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0203 (2).JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0204 (2).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Rick,
The additional pics help. The round pad goes in the spare spool container. Its use, I believe, is to cushion the extra spool in the case. Also, they show that the reel looks to be in great condition.
Sometimes, there are a couple numbers on the corner of back of their manuals, and sometimes, numbers are hidden in places that are hard to notice.
I would expect that there would a collector that would like to add this outfit to their collection.
Values can be tough to get exact on Mitchells these days.
Here's a link to a discussion about reel values a while back
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2442
Down in the above string is what I thought about the specifics of selling reels.
If you decide to sell your reel on out forum, you might have to exchange a little information via our private email to build confidence with potental buyers.
I may be interested myself.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply