Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:56 am • #  
Administrator

The Mitchell 300/301
(and several other models)

I am asked the question "how much fishing line goes on my reel" at least once a week. The other is "what is the recommended line weight" for my reel. Due to the hundreds of combination's depending on which spool and what type or even brand name line you're planning on using, I can only show what Mitchell recommended in their charts. To help I'll show the 4-different spools that are most commonly found on the Mitchell 300/301, 300C/301C, 300DL/301DL, Otomatic, 330/331, Rapid, 350/351 400/401, 410/411, 410DL, 440/441, 440/441 Match, Garcia Mitchell Match (no 440/441 engraved), 500, 510 and 540. First off, which spool below is most like the one you want to use?

I have yet to find line capacity charts for the 2-Match spools but here's what I do have on the 2-most common spools, the large and small capacity, can anyone help?

From The 1950s:

And Probably a More Accurate One From The 1970:

The Mitchell 308/309 408/409 & 508

From the 1960s:

The Mitchell 306/307 406/407

From the 1960s:
Please use these charts as a general guide only...

More to be added as time permits.

Best Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:13 pm • #  
Administrator

All Old Mitchell Spool Capacity Charts Plus!

Here's a couple more Mitchell Spool Line Capacity and cross-reference charts that may help however, due to the different lines available today with high test with low diameters, I don't know if these will help everyone looking. Please see the charts in the first post for line diameters!!! To help convert:

1 ounce = 28.4 grams
1 gram = 0.035 ounces
1 yard = 0.9 meters
1 meter = 1.09 yards

Attachment:
Line Capacity 1979.jpg

Please note: Due to the fine print, right-click on Attached Images and then click on "View Image" it will take you to where if you left-click on it, it will go to a larger size. After you enlarge the photo; you can then Copy or better yet, Save the large image to your computer for easy reading.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:16 am • #  

This is an interesting one. Regarding Wallace's very first image with 300 spools, I've never seen the type of spool Wallace describes as a 'small capacity'.

The Large is the same as we got in the UK, but what Wallace calls the 'Extra small capacity match' is exactly what our reels came fitted with and we called it the Small capacity spool...the standard fitment.

From around 1954 Mitchell offered an 'ultra small' capacity spool as a spare, but they are as rare as hen's teeth....as far as I know I have all that have ever been found in the UK...exactly 4 in number! These were accumulated after asking the repair shops and secondhand spares folk and represent about 4,200 reels dismantled!

Although the UK importers, Milbro, called it an 'ultra small' I suspect Mitchell themselves referred to it differently as the part numbers begin with the letters UL.....maybe 'ultra light'?

Mitchell first offered the spool Wallace calls 'Ultra small capacity match' as standard fitment on the 440 I believe, but here in the UK that quickly gained a chenille trim to stop fine lines used by matchmen from getting behind the baffle. Match angling in the UK in those days largely consisted of catching large quantities of small fish such as roach and fine lines were needed to catch them.

The clutch adjuster on the spools was also quickly altered to a full circle design, once again to help fine lines not snag on the spool.

Just in case you never got the UL spools in the US here is one:
Attachment:
Original 4 (Small).JPG

And here is one again, the spool without line. The spool on the left is a converted Match spool, made to accept an early clutch adjuster:
Attachment:
002 (Small).JPG

A couple of my reels here came from America...they have what I think is the standard UK Small spool fitted....not the one Wallace shows. Perhaps a simple image upload error??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:22 pm • #  

Hello bailarm,

I agree as I have never seen the extra small Match spool that Wallace refers to. The small spools that are included with my Match reels are the standard Mitchell small spool. Here are a few of my Ultra Small Spools.
Attachment:
Ultra Small Spool.jpg

This one is mint and I don't believe ever had line on it.
Attachment:
Ultra Small Spools.jpg

These are the rest of the ones I have aside from the spools that came with my Match reels. As you stated, very hard to find and these are the only spools I have seen with the marked "Ultra Small Capacity" cannisters!

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:35 am • #  

They're a bit more common over here, Chris as the Match reels were very popular, perhaps because the match anglers felt they actually had some input into the changes after 1968, with a full circle clutch adjuster and the chenille trim being apparently suggested by them to new Garcia UK boss Barrie Welham.

It's the ultra shallow ones from the Fifties that seem to be the rarest over here....well they are now if I really have them all :sFun_eyescan:

OK so Wallace maybe made a small error...no big thing.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply