Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I recently purchased this advertisement from a 1967 "Australian Outdoors" Magazine. Just had to have it as I have never seen advertising only featuring left-handed Mitchell reels. The Ad is for the Mitchell 305, 309, 301 and 307.

Attachment:
Australian Outdoors Ad.jpg

I knew our Northern Hemisphere gravity spun in the opposite direction of our Southern Hemsiphere Mates, but Mitchell reels too :sCo_huhsign: ??
How about that Fishabout :sHa_lol:

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:23 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
We all know that you, really, bought it because it had one of those round body reels on it. :sBo_bounce2:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 pm • #  

Hi Ted,

:sFun_rofl: :sFun_rofl: OK, Guilty as charged. :tup But it really is a pretty cool advertisement.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 pm • #  

Hi Chris You know something Its still pretty much the same over here all these years later right handed fisher people hold the rod or pole with their left hand and operate the reel with their right hand . I angle both ways left or right taught my son the same and encouraging my eldest grandson to be competent in both styles . No right or wrong I know in which ever method suits the angler but I personal believe being competent in both has advantages IMHO .Funny you brought this up I had an old mate travel threw my area around Christmas took him out in my boat stopped at a spot starting to lay down the burley trail , handed him one my out fits with a left hand wind reel on it and he said . What did you me this F!#@^&$ thing for I cant use that. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:31 pm • #  

Hi Tracey,

Pretty funny. I'm strictly left-handed; I can't even brush my teeth with my right hand but I use right handed Mitchells (304, 300, 330 etc.). The odd thing is I set up and cast with my left hand and then shift the rod to reel in. My son is strictly left handed also but he only likes the left handed Mitchells (305, 301) and he doesn't swap hands to cast/reel like I do. Guess I'm just odd :sFun_bananacolors: There would definitely be advantages to being able to fish competently with either hand, especially on some of the small/tight streams that I fish in Maine trying to get around branches and trees for that perfect cast into prime brook trout territory.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:47 pm • #  

Chris just do what I did set your self up in the back yard and practice with a back to front outfit and practice more and then more determination will set in and then you are all good to go and put it to the test believe me If I can do it well say no more. I blame my mother, Tracey there is No Such Word As Can,t . Cheers Mum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:05 pm • #  

Tracey,

Good advice and your mother is obviously a great lady with the proper encouragement for her son. My Mom was much the same. I'll give it a go - Just received this sweet Mitchell 315 this afternoon.
Attachment:
315 Euro MIB.jpg

As good a reel as any and better than most to learn with - now I just need a left handed Conolon rod to mount it on! :sFun_rofl:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:10 am • #  

:clap Cheers more beers all round .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:28 am • #  

Great article and pictures Chris. I am ambidextrous except writing and fishing. Makes no matter as long as I have Mitchell reels and Conolon rods. They did make a prototype Conolon rod for the odd number Mitchell reels back in the 50's. :P :P The wrappings were reverse directions from the even number ones. After 1 year in production no-one noticed or cared so they stopped production and stayed with the original wrappings. If you happen to find one of these rods they are highly prized and collectable. :sFun_eyescan: :sFun_eyescan: Ask Scott for confirmation if you have doubts. :sFun_crazydance: :sFun_crazydance:

Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:38 pm • #  

Thanks Kim,

Great information regarding the left handed Conolon - I never realized that was ever developed/marketed but I'm not surprised at all that Conolon attempted to market a left handed fishing rod. I would love to know the model numbers and years that they were available so I would know what to look for. You're right that Scott would probably know the specific models - probably has a few in his collection :sHa_lol:. A nice 6 1/2 foot, light action, left hand rod with a Mitchell 305 and 6# Mono with all of the proper documentation would be a great conversation piece in any collection :tup

Best Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply