Mitchell 304 CAP with serial numbers on the fixed sideplate

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
ReelTalk

Mitchell 304 CAP with serial numbers on the fixed sideplate

Post by ReelTalk »

Hi all, while there is tons of info about the 300 and its related serial # systems, I’m having a hard time, finding the same type of index for the Mitchell 304/cap reels.

I have a Mitchell 304 CAP reel, no Garcia markings. It has CAP on the drag dial, small anti reverse lever, and it has a five or six digit serial number on the CAP/ made in France side of the reel (non-handle side).

Is there a database for these serial numbers or is there a quicker way to identify the approximate year of manufacture on another site? I saw that if the real says CAP on one side and 304 Cap on the other, then it was made in 1955, I suppose regardless of serial number, and once they removed the Cap from the handle side, it would indicate around 1956, any information would be helpful. Thanks.

jtwill98

Re: Mitchell 304 CAP with serial numbers on the fixed sideplate

Post by jtwill98 »

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?p=206&sid=7ef4107bef4ea5d ... 8eed4#p206

Chris or someone else here might be able to help you, if you can post a picture.

jtwill98

Post by jtwill98 »

You can also learn more about the reel here: http://www.mitchellcap.info/

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi ReelTalk,
There is no formal dating guide for the "Round Body" Mitchells (CAP, 304, 314) but I have studied these reels for years and have a pretty good idea of dating them. Your Mitchell CAP 304 was made in early 1956 as indicated by a serial number on the body. The 1955 Mitchell CAP 304 is the first time that these reels were identified as a "304" but had no serial numbers. Later in 1956 the reel would have been a Mitchel 304 (no CAP) and had a serial number stamped on the back of the body of the reel (later to move to the reel foot). If it was distributed by Garcia, it would have had a yellow and black "a Garcia product" arched sticker on it in the upper left quadrant of the faceplate - European distributed reels didn't have the sticker. It would have come in a blue cover two piece box with "Mitchell CAP" embossed in gold on the upper left hand corner of the box top. Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Kind Regards,
Chris

SGTMAJ 62

Post by SGTMAJ 62 »

Chris, thanks for the information. I will have to admit my knowledge about the Mitchell round body reels is pretty weak. That's why the MRM is so important
All the best
SGTMAJ