Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm • #  

Mates, I started a new thread for this as the original started out as a "Two Screw" thread. As you may recall, I made reference to a Salt Water PUM and I believe I have found out how to tell if it was a factory made PUM or a has a Kit installed. Chris - it means a lot to me to have your concurrence, and thanks for the pics of the Kit. Five years ago Wallace and I debated this very question and we have two reels with the special screw for the counter weight to compare. See these articles where Wallace shows an identical screw.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=415

Barring a box that serial numbers match the reel and is marked PUM, with the special screw, I believe we have the answer. Any input is welcome.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:08 pm • #  

Thanks Randy,

And thank you for adding the link to your previous discussion on this topic....very interesting. I didn't realize you had TWO examples of that particular screw for the counterweight - I agree that pretty much indicates a Factory PUM to me. However, what I also find interesting in your photos is the condition of the inside of the rotor cup - it doesn't appear to have ever had the bail release mechanism/rod installed - no wear, no scratches. That was a convincing point to me in evaluating my Mitchell Albatros 304 PUM. Also, I have had many and varied conversations with people in the supply chain of manufacturing / assembly i.e. Ford Motor Company. Here's how I think that worked at Mitchell; They designated a workstation (or two) at certain times (orders pending) where all of the parts for the Salt Water PUM were gathered for a couple of workers to assemble. No bails, screws, releases etc. and the boxes were subsequently stamped PUM upon completion of the reel - all in an assembly station or two at the factory. I believe the PUM kit used the original bail screw to keep the cost down and because it would work.

While I would love to see a numbers matching NIB Salt Water stamped PUM, I still think you have Factory PUM Salt Water reels and you have unlocked the Mitchell Salt Water Factory PUM mystery :sSig_youtheman:

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:12 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Randy and Chris,

I was looking in an old Albatros catalog and found a picture of a 302 PUM ( 1961 ) with the text ; could be ordered with a PUM.
I will look thru my documents and see what I can find more .

regards , Dries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:08 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi mates,

Just found an Albatros document from june 1962 It says that Albatros could replace the bail for a PUM ..

But.. with the Albatros 304 and 306 with PUM stamped on the box i don,t rule out that there is a 302 box with a PUM stamp somewhere....

Dries

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply