Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:40 am • #  
Administrator

With permission grated by Dr. Todd Larson, owner of Whitefish Press; I'd like to announce my new book here first. It is still being edited, proofed and re-proofed mainly by me which has been going on for well over two years. This is a continuation of my first self-published book " Mitchell ~ Rebirth of a Legend" not to be confused with Barry Frewing's book "Mitchell ~ Birth of a legend" who graciously gave permission for the use of his name and did the final thumbs up on what was written.

This new book will be full size, hard cover, high definition images in color and will be sold worldwide in several languages. The contents could be described as "everything you wanted to know about the most famous spinning reel ever made but didn't know what to ask" and much more. I'll announce the expected release as soon as I know what it is. The hold up is me trying to make it perfect which will never happen. All history books are never perfect except for one.

Best Regards,
Wallace

added information link...

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Last edited by anonymous on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:30 am • #  

Hi wallace,
Boy im looking forward to this book, im sure it will be as good as it looks.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 am • #  
Global Moderator

Wallace
I also look forward to seeing this book, Rebirth of a Legend was wonderful and transformed this hobby for me.
If you are taking advance orders, please put my name on the list.
Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 am • #  

Whats the timescale to print Wallace. Sounds a great book.
Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:13 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Thank you for the kind words. I am working on it daily and honestly; it is finished but I keep adding to it as I have for over two years now. I've heard the rumors that I have a "rich benefactor" that supports me? If that was true it would be finished a long time ago. I try to sell / repair reels and do odd jobs to barely make ends meet. I only say this to explain why I can't give an expected date but it will be soon, I hope!

My breaks are coming here to a happy place Image

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:12 am • #  

hello wallace
as soon the book is ready let me know
johny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:49 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Johny,

I will and thank you for asking. It is very close to complete, by me at least.

Kind Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:29 pm • #  

Hi Wallace, the book sounds great, get it published now.
This is just a thought Wallace but you could always print update pages or pamphlets once a year or as they occur.
I once bought a book on tuning Fiat engines and every now and then they would find something that worked a bit better or a better way to achieve something. They would send this information to all original book purchasers so the new info could be added to their copy. I think a lot of the new info was found by book owners and offered to the author for the next update, now as most Mitchell owners are passionate about their reels, I think they would love to be involved and I think this would work with your book and eventually make the book perfect.
Best of luck with the book mate and put me down for a copy.
Wal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:04 am • #  

Hi Wal,
When a book is put together or composed from materials gathered from several sources it really takes some time to achieve what you think is "THE BOOK" so you can release it to the paying public. No matter how much time and effort you put into a book someone will always find time to take it apart for you, knowing wallace the book will be near perfect when it comes to the Mitchell 300 as i know no better person qualified to do so, i also know there will be those who will say "this is wrong and thats not correct". You will get those people who say "Thats not in there and why didn't you ask i would of given you the pictures" Image it always happens and once printed you feel like the last 2or3 years have been a waste of timeImage. Im sure that when the book is released it will be "FINISHED" though only 99% perfect. In your thread Wal it was interesting what you said about the tuning of Fiat engines, others come up with new information and they send out info to all book owners in an additional booklet, no disrespect here mateImage but i would sooner the book had a bit missing than have a booklet sent after, after all the bit missing will be what we call history and sometimes you just cant get that last bit to make it perfect.

Just my thoughts mate, martin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 am • #  

Hi Martin, I agree with you that the book is going to be near perfect and I know people will look for faults but what I mean is, many books appear with second, third or fourth revised editions due to information appearing from readers which would not have came to light if the book was not published in the 1st place if you see what I mean. It would be unfair to ask the original buyers to re-buy the book because new information has come to light. This is where the updates would come in. By the way I am not suggesting these papers should be sent for free but offered to original purchasers for perhaps postage and packing cost only or a free download to print off yourself.
Best regards to all.
Wal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 am • #  

Hi Wal,
Its of my opinion that if wallace has missed something from this book about the Mitchell 300 he will be able to send it to us on the back of a postage stampImage No pressure there then wallace.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Thank you for the encouraging words. I already know that the day the book is published; I will know more. Errors and omissions are also expected but this will be limited because 99% of what's in the book is from my own studies, not from other publications or any other source with the exception of Mitchell history and a handful of pictures donated from people like you Martin. This study has been an ongoing process for nine years now and the information comes from reels that I own and/or owned, well over 1,000 of them!

This one being the hardest is the first of a long line of Mitchell books on many other models I've completed studies on.

Kind regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:04 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
As I have said I am really looking forward to this book and I am delighted to hear that you have others in the pipeline.

I have heard about the 4 page article that you did on the second version reel study in Classic Angling Magazine, is there any chance that Keith can post it in our group?

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:09 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Roy,

To post it here would be up to Kieth at Classic Angling magazine or at least with his permission. I'd be happy to see it here in an article on 2nd Versions.

Kind Regards,
Wallace

PS: Thanks for mentioning it, I was beginning to wonder if it was there Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace
We'll wait to see what Keith says on the subject, it would be good to have it here.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:09 pm • #  

The Whitefish Press is proud to announce that we are taking reservations for a new book on Mitchell Spinning Reels by noted authority Wallace Carney entitled The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel: 1939-1989. Only 75 signed and numbered copies of the full color hardcover (with dust jacket) Limited Edition will be printed. This book is scheduled to ship in mid-November.

If you would like a copy, please go to the link at the end of the post and follow the instructions. DO NOT SEND MONEY. You'll want to reserve a copy right now as a number of them have already been reserved and the slots will surely fill up fast.

For more information and to reserve your copy, click on the following link:

The Limited Edition is now sold out. Thanks for all the support!

-- Dr. Todd

Last edited by anonymous on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm • #  

The Limited Edition is sold out. Thanks to all for the support!

-- Dr. Todd

Last edited by anonymous on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:51 am • #  

UPDATE: The Limited Edition sold out in a flash; I hope no one will mind, but I've expanded the Limited Edition run to 75 copies so that dedicated Mitchell collectors who desire a copy (and I've already got numbers beyond 50 requesting copies) will not be left out in the cold, so to speak. We will not expand the run again--and remember, these are the ONLY hardcovers that will be released of this book.

I hope this meets with everyone's approval. If anyone has a question/comment about this, I respectfully request that you email me directly at whitefishpress AT yahoo DOT com.

Thanks to all the Mates!

-- Dr. Todd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:28 am • #  

Hi Dr.Todd,
Many thanks for keeping the group and all the collectors updated on the book, regarding the increase on the ltd edition run, it can only be good for the collectors/fanatics who want a copy.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:24 am • #  

Dr Todd

When will these be ready to see? will we have them before the mitchell meeting - circa 21st November?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 pm • #  

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay. Yes, the bindery informs me you will have them before the Mitchell Meeting on Nov. 21st. We should be shipping the second week of November.

Sincerely,

Dr. Todd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:40 am • #  
Administrator

Dear Mitchell Mates,

I have asked several people to proof read my book for errors and be as critical as possible. One of them is my very good friend Doug Bourque who gave me his discoveries yesterday including:
  • Page 65 ~ The two arrows point to the two gears that create the cross-wind. It is not what's unique about this reel's gears. What is unique is the casting difference from other cross-wind gears that can be compared to the "unknown" reel shown on page 67.
  • Page 138 ~ I show the two styles of "300" stickers placed on the 7th version boxes but on page 130 I did not show the two styles found on these. The one not shown is the earliest (serial number) sticker that has the "300" printed in black.
  • Page 141 ~ My inserted text should have read " This ad reads like a sad farewell to the classic 300 Series by Garcia after their 30 year involvement" and not 20 years. If you look at the ad, they made the same mistake. FYI, this time frame (1947 - 1977) was what Carpano & Pons still refers to as "The 30 Glorious Years" as seen in the history chapter.
  • Page 173 ~ A big boo-boo or may I say typo? I show a 1954 Garcia advertisement but say the 300K kits were first advertised in 1964, not! This should read 1954. I then say they started advertising the plastic boxes in 1967 but again, it should be 1957! Page 174 dates are correct. Click Here for more information on these kits.
People who really know me understand I do like to be corrected, especially now in this book! If anyone sees anything they can prove is wrong, please let us all know by posting here. Once we feel these errors have been identified, I'll email a corrections page to all buyers as an insert to the book with my apologies.

Kind Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am • #  

Hello Wallace:

I know from your Mitchell reel collecting experience, your great website, and your recent book on Mitchell reels that you enjoy Mitchell mysteries. I am a novice collector having just begun about one year ago, but I have a decent collection of Mitchell and Garcia Ambassadeur/Abu-matic reels. I have two items that are mysterious to me, and was wondering if you could shed some light? They are:

[*]First, a possible discrepancy. I have an old Mitchell tackle box kit that I bought a few months ago on ebay. It is black plastic with a clear handle and brass clasp. It is compartmentalized and the lure storage has a clear cover in the top section of the box. You indicate in your recent publication "The Mitchell" that these boxes first came out in 1964 and the black plastic box began production in 1967. Also, you indicate that the code for this box should be 8101. My box no longer has the gold sticker, and there is only a remnant of the small sticker on the side of box, and there is not enough left to indicate a number. However, the box has the name "Garcia" and the number 9271 embossed in the plastic on top of the box. I looked at the reel that came with it, and it appears not to have been used. It has the original grease and appears to be pre-wound with brown Platyl line. The spare spool is also pre-wound and still has the Garcia rubber band on it with the small white paper protector in place. The rubber band is totally deteriorated. The serial number on the reel is 2564084, which according to your research would date this reel to around 1960. Other reel characteristics pointed out in your publication would indicate that my reel is a very early 6th version. I have the 1959 Garcia Fishing Annual and looked to see if the kit was listed. It was, and showed the exact same box as I have, with many of the lures that I also have, but they don't indicate a model number for the kit. Therefore, I am thinking that this outfit was produced at least as early as 1959, maybe sooner, since the photo in the 1959 Annual shows reels with yellow Garcia stickers and no "Garcia" in the engraving. I'm thinking mine is likely from 1960. [/list]Wayne (USA)

"Postings from emails to the Mitchell Reel Museum"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:06 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Wayne,

Your email came in just as Doug was telling me about my mistakes as shown above, this one being the worse mistake.

Thank you for pointing this out and for your interest in Mitchell. The box you mention does have two numbers in some cases. The very early plastic boxes have no numbers, then the "9271" embossed as you say and then the sticker on the left side with different codes depending on what model Mitchell reel was sold in it as a complete kit. You can also look at the Articles section here in our group for for help in dating your reel.

The second part of your email will be posted under Questions to the Mitchell Reel Museum.

Please feel free to join in and ask anything...

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 pm • #  

Wallace,

Shouldn't the picture for the 300K kits for 1964 be a long black box with the reel, pole, sock, book, lures etc instead of the plastic one??? ALSO did they still make the 300K kits in 1966 with the long black box??? I know in my 1967 Tackle Catalog they went with the BROWN plastic box. Thanks.

Kim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:07 pm • #  

Wallace,

I see you did state in 1967 they went with the brown box. My bad.Image

Kim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:05 am • #  
Administrator

Kim,

As I said, the 1964 date in the book is wrong and should have read 1954. The Garcia kit you're talking about is the "RK" kit, the "R" standing for rod. A book could be written on the variety of several kits made by Garcia and Mitchell.

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:15 pm • #  

Hello Wallace,

I have been looking over the internet to see if i could find your "Mitchell - Rebirth of a Legend" book but cant find any are the publishers still producing it? Is there any changes or corrections from this book to your new book?

Regards

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:15 am • #  
Administrator

Hi David,

Hi David,

Sorry for the late reply mate, still under the weather...

That first book or study was self published by me in January, 2006 at very high printing binding costs. For this reason only 100 were printed and sold out. The best part of this book was the detailed 15 page spreadsheet on over 500 (acceptable) Mitchell 300 series reels I had purchased that I stand by to this day except; Page 7 of 15 has a misprint where serial numbers 3616448 to 4218719 had the year as 1962/63 whereas it should have been 1961/62 or in other words, I skipped years 1961/62. This wasn't discovered by anyone until after they were sold out.

The other big mistake was the year of the first version I show as 1946. This information came from Pure Fishing's history page so I assumed they would know, big mistake! The last time I looked they are now saying 1948 for heaven's sake! Seams to me the owner's of the Mitchell "name" would care more about the true history of Mitchell. I still stand by the same basic years as a "guideline" to those who want to know the approximate years of manufacture, not the dates of advertising.

I never stopped studies on the history of Mitchell nor did I stop purchasing more reels to add to the spreadsheet. So much more had been discovered by me and several others who share information so it was great when Dr. Larson "Whitefish Press" called and asked me to do another book not knowing I never stopped with what I was calling volume 2.

Although the new book is 100 times better I still pick up my old copy for a quick reference Image

Kind Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,
It pays to reread before posting. Sorry for the mix-up. Does your 1954 catalog read "RK" as the other ones made??? My earliest catalog is 1957. It shows the Reel Kit box with the fish symbols around the bottom. Very nice outfit to boot. Did Garcia have a Reel Kit made in 1966. Trying to get some time lines. Thanks agin.
Kim

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply