Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:24 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Kim,

I've listed the various Garcia Kits in the Mitchell Museum website. You can see these by Clicking Here.

I just unsealed my 1966 Garcia Annual for the first time and found the brown box kit but no "RK" kits. They did offer a rod and reel combo but without any tools, lures, etc.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:54 pm • #  

Wallace, It looks as though Garcia only made the Black Boxed RK's for two years. Probably not a big seller. I noticed on your site that Garcia made an RK- 510 & 508 in 1972. Did anyone see or bid on the one for sale on ebay??? I forgot to write the number down. Would have been a nice outfit to get since you don't see them very often. Thanks for the help.
Kim

PS- Any way to get a production number on the RK's for 1964-65????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:02 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel book is now available in soft cover.

Thanks for all the support!

Wallace

Last edited by mitchellreels on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:32 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Kim,

I started to post the following but just noticed you PS question, sorry mate! I do not know of anyone who has ever found a production number on any kit. We  can only go by what was advertised and how many times, the more years advertised, the more were made. Some were only advertised a couple years. I feel these would be a lower quantity or less desirable at the time, maybe?

Best Regards, Wallace

Last edited by mitchellreels on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:30 am • #  
Administrator

Hello mates,

I have made the following corrections in a New UK printed book:

Changed Credits page to Handal (Sorry Paul Image )

Page 18 ~ Paragraph now reads: Barrie Welham received authorization from Tom Lenk, to use the "Garcia" name in The UK hence the birth of Garcia Tackle, UK. With established marketing skills including advertisements and sales aids, getting the Garcia “name” would prove to be most valuable.

Page 65 ~ The two arrows point to the two gears that create the cross-wind. It is not what's unique about this reel's gears. What is unique is the casting difference from other cross-wind gears that can be compared to the "unknown" reel shown on page 67. (NOW in the new UK book I typed in page 97 for heaven's sake! Well, at least we can identify the first run copies! I will correct this on the next run IF we can sell these?)

Page 69 ~ The serial number was duplicated from the previous page and should have been Serial Number A45742.

Page 137 ~ I state “For more on this topic; see the chapter on Dating by Serial Numbers” that I didn’t include in this book. It is included in the UK book!

Page 138 ~ I show the two styles of "300" stickers placed on the 7th version boxes but on page 130 I did not show the two styles found on these. The one not shown is the earliest (serial number) sticker that has the "300" printed in black.

Page 141 ~ My inserted text should have read " This ad reads like a sad farewell to the classic 300 Series by Garcia after their 30 year involvement" and not 20 years. If you look at the ad, they made the same mistake. FYI, this time frame (1947 - 1977) was what Carpano & Pons still refers to as "The 30 Glorious Years" as seen in the history chapter.

Page 164 ~ The 1968 Schematic to the left showing the transition of Part Numbers is the last one I’ve found prior to the next one dated 1974. This is the same year Garcia celebrated buying the controlling stock of Mitchell. They made a 300DL to celebrate this milestone. For more information, please see the chapter called “The Mike Read Collection.”

Page 173 ~ I show a 1954 Garcia advertisement but say the 300K kits were first advertised in 1964! This should read 1954. I then say they started advertising the plastic boxes in 1967 but again, it should be 1957! Page 174 dates are correct.

Page 183 ~ Changed Global to 5 and Silver to 3 known to exist.

The back cover should read “and a fascinating history of Carpano & Pons, Mitchell, and Garcia” as C.A.P was another reel Carpano & Pons made in addition to The Mitchell reels.

Thanks for all the help...

Best Regards,
Wallace Carney

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 am • #  

Amazon.com says:

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Are there any available?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:54 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Bob,

You will have to check with Wallace to see whether he still has any left. The UK version might be available. Wallace should know that also. It really is a wonderful book. Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:18 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Bob, Dr. Todd Larson (Whitefish Press) and I are talking about doing another print run. We will announce this here when it happens. Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 pm • #  

Wallace,

I will purchase at least two, perhaps more.

I have an old fishing buddy that I want to send a gift to and it would be perfect.

Thanks,

-Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 am • #  

Hi Wallace could you put my name down for a copie
Regards Alan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Bob and Alan,

My deadline is the 28th of this month so we should have these available again nearing Christmas. Thanks for your support :)

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 am • #  

Hi, Got my copy today from Coch-Y-Bonddu in the UK.
Paid and delivered within 2 days, great service !

The book is everything I hoped it would be and more !
If there is still someone out there that doesn't have it yet, or are just late like I was :blush get it in a hurry, I highly recommend it.
This is by far the most detailed book I have ever seen on one type of spinning reel, superb in every way !
To Wallace, thanks for writing it :tup :tup :tup

Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 am • #  

Whats the timescale to print Wallace. Sounds a great book.
Best regards, Jim

ทางเข้า maxbet

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:28 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Jim,

We only printed 200 copies of my book in the UK and they sold out several years ago. You may find one for sale on eBay? Thanks for your support. Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance.

Kind Regards, Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply