Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 am • #  
Administrator

The quality of workmanship and materials is one measure that determines the value of any reel, old or brand new. To determine the value of an older reel is also based on age, rarity and deemed collectable (I'd rather call desirable) by fishing reel collectors. All these factors play a part, not just one such as age. Just because any reel is older does not mean it's more valuable.

The least factor in determining a reels value is the collector's desires that vary out of control. One's man's trash is another man's treasure to put it simply. While one may believe the certain style of one reel is more desirable than others, another may believe the exact opposite. For this reason most will agree that values cannot be placed on any reel based on one's desires. The exception would be a documented authentic and very scarce reel but that's still subject to each collector's opinion and pocketbook.

The most valuable reels are those made first within any series, and of course the prototypes, one-of-a-kinds, limited releases, presentation reels and even those still desirable to fish with. Those that were handmade would always be of higher value due to scarcity. You also need to know how to "grade" each reel by appearance and mechanics but that's another topic. I can only suggest that you research any specific reel prior to buying or selling.

Records have been kept and books written for many decades pertaining to history and values of conventional reels. Collecting Mitchell spinning reels is relatively new starting maybe as far back as the early eighties and that was primarily for research, thanks to Bill Arp. We are finding lost historical documents and photographs, learning new and amazing historical facts, and so may other subjects of interest it's hard to keep up; but that's why we're here!

Wallace Carney

"Knowledge is the most valuable asset in collecting"

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:21 pm • #  

I have just acquired a Mitchell 300 reel. The reel's body is labelled Garcia Mitchell 300. The serial number on the foot is C176994. There is no mistaking that this is the serial number - everything is very clear. According to info in Wallace Carney's charts - I believed my model to be a 1971 unit but the last two digits of 94 do not indicate a month of the year as 01 would indicate January etc. Is my Mitchell 300 a 1971 unit or earlier? Can you help me with this - I really would like to know.

John Shkopiak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi John

Your serial number dates the reel to 1973.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:16 am • #  

Thanks for pointing out to me that my Mitchell is a 1973 model.  If the first two digits indicate day and the last two digits indicate month, I can see that the 17 of my serial number indicates the seventeenth day but the 94 on the end - how does that indicate month?

Secondly I have a second Mitchell - it is a Pre Garcia as well as a pre 300 model in super excellent working condition.  I don't have any box for it and it was used as a fishing reel extensively- however no scratches or wear marks.  The serial number is 188531.  What series is this and what year was it made?  What would be its value on the market today generally speaking.  I do not wish to part with it as it is my go to reel when I go fishing.  I will save it for my grandkids.

Thanks John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:34 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi John

On your first reel, C176994, the letter C gives us the year 1973.

The second reel you mention, 188531 dates to 1957/58.

If you look in the article section of this forum and read Wallaces article on dating classic egg shaped reels you will see for yourself.

Kind regards Roy

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply