304 bail clearance

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Baron2

304 bail clearance

Post by Baron2 »

:text-feedback:
I find there is much pleasure in the use of my 304. There is an issue which may keep me from using it while wearing gloves. The bail often hits my fingers and if i were wearing gloves I fear it would be a constant nuisance.
Have you any way of over-coming this issue?

don309

Re: 304 bail clearance

Post by don309 »

One way to over come fishing with gloves. Fish a Mitchell with auto bail. :roll: :lol:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

That sounds cool. I’ll have to research how that works.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Move to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wear fingerless gloves!

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

there is always one funny guy! I'm still laughing, thanks :banana-blonde: :banana-dance:

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

I was thinking to make up a spacer to lower the reel a bit on the rod.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

LOL, Seriously, I would find a rig that you can use, I know we all Love our Mitchells, but change is always good.
Sounds like you will make it work.
Consider you might give up some of the performance of reel.
Auto Bail sounds good.
Closed Spinning Reel sounds better.
Guess Mitchell did not consider winter fishing with gloves.
In other words Abort the take off.

cshannon772

Post by cshannon772 »

Hi Baron2,
None of the standard Mitchells have the clearance between the bail and your rod when using gloves. Like you, the Mitchell 304 is my favorite of all the Mitchells and growing up fishing in Maine, I had plenty of exposure to cold weather fishing. April 1'st was opening day of Trout season - frequently (actually most of the time) wading through snow to get to the river/brook. Great times but COLD!
In the early 70's Mitchell addressed your very issue with the 500 Series reels. These are some of mine in my collection but these aren't my users!!
Mitchell Duals 1.jpg
Mitchell Duals 1.jpg (264.49 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
These reels and rods were expressly designed for cold weather fishing and actually quite ingenious. They didn't come in the 304 style but they are great reels. The Mitchell 510 (Mitchell 300 size) is fairly common but they are not inexpensive when you find them in good condition. Mitchell made the 500, 508, 510, 524 and 540. The rods are Mitchell Conolon and are specific to mount these reels and they are quite expensive when you find them. Toasty hands while early fishing will cost a few $$$ but may be worth it. Tight Lines!

Kind Regards,
Chris

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Oh my Gosh! Beautiful. When I joined this group I said I was not a collector but rather I was a user. I see the SlipperySlopeSyndrome that develops here. They sure are nice. Thanks for sharing Shannon772.

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Chris,
I just love seeing your fantastic reel collection. :banana-dance: :text-bravo: :text-coolphotos: I think you have a very clever display for your dual reels and rods. The way you did it you can see the entire rod and reel by mounting the display high enough up to avoid any problems with the long rods. Thanks so much for showing us them again. :text-goodpost:
Kind Regards,
Bill :D