Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 123 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Archived Announcements
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 pm • #  
Administrator

Our Group in Review by Dr. Todd's Blog:

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com
Fishing for History: The History of Fishing and Fishing Tackle

"This blog deals with our outdoor heritage. It concentrates in particular on the history of fishing and fishing tackle, and seeks to provide interesting, informative, and important materials for anyone who wants to help preserve our nation's (and the world's) fishing. Dr. Todd Larson."

On Thursday, May 28, 2009 Dr. Todd did a Review on our group called:
"A New Mitchell Reel Collector's Forum" I was overwhelmed to say the least!

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

Post subject: Mitchell Mates Review
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48 pm • #  

Well done Wallace. A very nice review. I wish you every luck with your new forum.
James Partridge

Post subject: Mitchell Mates Review
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:13 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Jim,

I was overwhelmed at the complements given to our group including those who are asking and sharing. Without the help of Martin Stone and Roy Allett this group would have never started. The credit goes to all Mitchell Mates for who we are as individuals; not just me. With good men like you joining in to help, that's what will truly make us a success.

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:38 am • #  

Hello Mates,
Here is a flier for the National Vintage Tackle Fair. It is a good tackle fair with usually 45/50 tables. A few Mitchell Mates meet up for a chat and a bit of fun.
Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:01 am • #  

It struck me that it's about time everyone in Europe who's interested in Mitchells got together for a day, just to talk reels, swap or buy. So I'm offering my company's offices in Camden Town, London, on November 21 as a venue. It won't cost anything, though I may ask £5 off everybody so we can get some food in. If there is enough support, we could hire a van or even a coach to go to the Vintage Tackle Fair at Redditch on the following day for those coming from Europe (and how knows? Maybe the US) No programme at present, though I'm happy to put one together. However, space is limited so admission will be on a first-come basis. I need to know: you can;t just turn up. Reckon the building could take about 50 in one room (though some would have to stand) but there are several rooms so people could set up stalls and if the weather was decent, there's a roof garden we could use. But we're talking England here... For those coming from abroad, Camden is a cheap place to stay, 10 minutes from the Eurostar terminal. For those driving, we're got about 10 car park places if we block each other in, and there's street parking outside. Our offices are in Bayham St, parallel to Camden High St, so it's five minutes' walk from Camden Town tube, two minutes from Mornington Crescent tube and 10 minutes from Kings Cross mainline station. I'll keep you up to date if and when any Mitchell celebs say they're coming.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Sounds good to me, please put me on the list, I missed out on the first one a year or so back and don't intend to miss this one.
Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:11 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Keith, Welcome to Mitchell Mates!

This is very kind of you and I know it will be a success. Count me in! I have a few good "Mitchell" mates who were there in the old days and I know you have some as well. I'll see if they can attend.

Thanks again,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 am • #  

Keith,

Thanks - count me in. If you want me to bring any of the rare mitchells then let me know. I think I have access to most of the rare reels on the www.mitchellreels.net web site.

Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 am • #  

wish i could come

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

I just spoke with Jean-Pierre (JP) Gumprich in France. JP is excited about this meeting and will be attending as a guest speaker. For those who don't know, JP worked for his father's company from 1958 to shortly after Mitchell's bankruptcy in 1981. His father, Julius (Jules) Gumprich, President of Ets Impecco, Paris, exclusive exporter for Carpano & Pons "Mitchell", brought the first Mitchell and C.A.P reels from France to his brother Otto S. Gumprich, President of Charles Garcia & Company.

JP's role with Impecco was "The Liaison" between Carpano & Pons, Mitchell, Impecco and all the importers that in 1971 totaled 83 different countries with over 5,600 retailers worldwide. JP would become President of Impecco after his father's death and was one of two entities that tried to buy Mitchell (1981) but due to Impecco's close ties for decades, it was awarded to Phillippe Blime. Shortly after this, JP had a major heart attack but obviously recovered. Why tell this?

Like most involved, they have bittersweet memories and up until my first contact with JP about two years ago, he didn't have a clue how important "Mitchell" is today to millions of people. He, like others, chose to forget. He now understands (the legacy) and for the first time since the early eighties, loves to talk about his precious memories.

For now we think an interesting topic (amongst many) would be the history of "why did Mitchell keep coming out with new models" that appears to be simple but it's not. You will be shocked to hear what he has to say! One of many truly amazing stories!!!

From the archives, Group Carpano & Pons, the above photograph shows JP (centered behind the trophy) but I had to correct his name. Somewhere through time his name was incorrectly changed to "Jr" Gumprich. It is now corrected in the archives as JP.

Best Regards, As per my agreement with Group Carpano & Pons:

Archives municipales de Cluses
Le bénéficiaire du prêt
Wallace CARNEY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:27 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Well done Wallace, it will be an honour to meet JP, to listen to him and indeed talk face to face with a man who actually played a part in the story of Mitchell.
I'm also quite looking forward to meeting a few others, your good self included.Image

Kind regards to all, Roy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:37 am • #  

Hello Mates,

It would be an honour to listen to Mr Gumprich and hear to some of the things that actually happened. It will be amazing to listen to someone who knows Mitchell, full stop and first hand. From the horses mouth as we say in the UK !!!!!!Image

Well done Keith and Wallace. I am sure the Second International Mitchell conference in the capital will be fantastic day. I think we may well be seeing some more international guests this year!

The First conference January 2007, was an excellent meeting, well done Mike. Talking to some of the leading authorities on Mitchell history. As well as seeing so many fantastic Mitchell reels and items. A truly memorable relaxing weekend. Wallace do not forget your camera this time! Image

Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:48 am • #  

Hi group,
Attending this event will be priority for me as i missed the 1st ever international conference back 2007. Mike i would be so greatfull if you could bring the 1,000,000 reel and the 20,000,000 global for me to see, many thanks for the offer to bring them with you it would be much appreciated, not just by me either.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:06 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Please see ESPN Outdoor Bassmaster News Article By Ken Duke Senior Editor, BASS Publications to find out more about our favorite publisher and Mitchell Mate Dr. Todd Larson. For those who don't know, Dr. Todd's favorite fishing reels include the Mitchell 300 and 308. He has done so much for so many, it was a joy to see him and his team at Whitefish Press get recognized especially by ESPN!

Congratulations Dr. Todd, you deserve this mate!

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 am • #  

Martin,

I will bring the 1,000,000 plus the global 20,000,000 plus the silver 20,000,000. Are there any other reels that anyone want to see - I'm very happy to bring them as they need to be shared. Everyone who loves mitchell and has supported us needs to see some of these rare reels. I'm just honoured that they are in my collection - I keep them for the mitchell family (all of you).
Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:29 am • #  

Hi mike,

Thanks for doing this mike it is going to be some day out looking at what ever you bring, i would like you to bring them all which would cover everybodys wish list who,s going to attend.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:37 am • #  

Hello wallace,
Its great that you have shared dr todd,s success with the group, im also pleased for dr todd and his team getting the recognition they deserve, its always nice to hear about people,s success, especially when they are people we can relate to.

Kind regards martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 am • #  

Congratulations Dr. Todd, a very nice and interesting article.

All your hard work is paying off, well done. It's nice to see so. Every luck for the future.

Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:30 am • #  

Martin,

The problem is there are too many - hence i asked what do people want to see. I suggest we ask Wallace to help us select the best.

regards Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:26 am • #  

Hi mike,
Im sure between you and wallace you will know which reels to bring, just talking with wallace the other day got my enthusiasm going to see the 1,000,000 reel so i reckon you will do a good job what ever you bring. Once again thanks for asking us.

Regards martin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:51 am • #  

Martin,

The 1,000,000 is stunning. I will bring a good selection. If someone can find the 1964 Fisherman's digest reel ( see other topic) I will buy it and bring it to the meeting -- please help me find it.

Regards

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 am • #  

On the event in November - we will not be cancelling this no matter what happens. Even if there are only 3 people it will happen so please put it in your diary and try and come and see the reels, ask questions and most of all meet the MMM ( yes if you are on this site you are part of the Mad Mitchell Mates (MMM)). Not a good name for us but can someone think of a better name. I will have some tee shirts made up with the name and date so you will have something to take home. You never know they might appear on ebay!!!!

Regards Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:53 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mike,

Well said my friend! I've debated changing our name since Mitchell Mates is being stereotyped as a "separate" group of for-members-only. Truth is exactly what you said "if you are on this site you are part" whether you are a Mitchell collector or just a Mitchell fan wanting to give, discuss, ask or just read what is said. We are also international and not just European that's also been implied. To be exact, we have Mitchell Fans from 121 different countries around the world but I have to say The UK has more interest per capita than any other country. In volume 2nd only to America.

Thanks for the tee shirts, can we have acquire caps as well? Image

On another note, I just spoke with Doug DeSimone and with his permission; he is excited about attending this meeting but can not commit this early. Image

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 am • #  

Hi wallace & mike,
This group is what i believe to be the best in the few years of my collecting, The name " MITCHELL MATES " i believe sais it all and if others dont like it thats just to bad. I believe in this name its why i am a part of it, if someone else has a problem with it its just because its succesfull and who knows huge in years to come. To be honest if those who bicker and whinge dont have anything better to do good luck to them, im sure their wives could do with a helping hand in the kitchen Image.
Just going back to the mitchell mates theme and mike's question of thinking of a better name, i spoke to jim the other night and we discussed funnily enough t-shirts for the group meeting, it was my intent to ask members if we could have some sort of logo to have with the name, my idea was to have the name mitchell mates on the left breast area with a pair of hands underneath showing a "HANDSHAKE" not sure mike if this is worth thinking of but since the group has class we may aswell wear it, i guess all involved could come up with something they have in mind.
If you can throw any suggestions in to the pot list them here where we can all see them, it will help mike with what to do/print on the shirts.
Oh and the hats for our mate wallace.
Just one other thing i forgot jim came up with the idea of having dates and venues listed on the back of the shirt, (aka rock bands) more for thought i guess

Just my thoughts martin

Last edited by anonymous on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:49 am • #  

Guys,

We still need a name for our group of mitchell lovers. Once we have a name i will get the Tee Shirts

Regards Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:21 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mike
As Martin has said "Mitchell Mates says it all, we love Mitchell Reels and we are mates.
We are completely open for all across the globe to see what we do and say and to join in if they wish to do do so.
If, as Wallace says, we are being stereotyped as a separate group, surely those wanting to do that will continue to do so whatever name we use.

As I say we are global, why not use the name "Global Mitchell Mates" GMM and use a picture of "The Global" reel as an emblem.

Just my thoughts, kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 am • #  

Hello Mitchell Mates International,Image

Mitchell Mates is an apt name for the group as its completely open to all to visit and learn. We are just a group of mates talking Mitchell.

Mitchell Mate JimImage

Last edited by Jimbo on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:53 am • #  
Administrator

Jimbo wrote:
Hello Mitchell Mates International,Image

Mitchell Mates is an apt name for the group as its completely open to all to visit and learn. We are just a group of mates talking Mitchell.

Mitchell Mate JimImage
Well said Jim! Perfect!

To quote Barrie Welham, Garcia Tackle, UK, from his Mitchell warranty card; "Welcome to the "International Club" of anglers who know and want the best..." Seams Barrie was spot on from the beginning. I'll post an article in our group for those who don't know who he was.

Mike, I think "Mitchell Mates" should be placed on the front (over the heart) and "the Mitchell Spinning Reel" in the original spaghetti script on the back of these tee-shirts. An option could be our individual name under Mitchell Mates, for an extra charge of course. Colors could be silver on black? What should be on the cap, just Mitchell maybe?

I like the Mitchell Mates "logo" idea. Should we have a contest for best design? I'll be happy to put up a valuable prize for the winner.

Any more thoughts?

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mates,

Count me in for the International Mitchell conference.

best regards

Dries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello Dries,

You were on my "I hope he comes" list! I know many who would like to meet you, me for one.

Best Regards,
Wallace

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 123 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply