Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 86 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 pm • #  

Hello Mates:

Thanks for your replies.

Wayne's opinion seems to me the most logical according to my reels, but i have still doubts. If i had just one reel, but two reels with the same number and the same "incompleet" 0 thats strange.
I,m almost shure that there are special numbers for special produced reels. That could be for a custumer or certain special types of reels. I wrote a litte before about a 498 nightblue with sn.G265109. My frend Jan has also a 498 With the same number. Both reels are new and with box. But both reels have also a Handle-lock. These are the only two 498 nightblue known with the handle-lock. They are NO homemade reels, but on the schematic there is a different partnr. for the handle than the schematic that follows the normal 498. These reels are specialy ordered this way.
The G numbers have 6 digits as well on the 810 (if the C should be a 0) as on the 498. But i have also a nib. Garcia 840 with G3541212, now 7 digits. I this case should the first two digits be the production day. Never heard about a month with 35 days. The reel has also a not- reinforced foot.
Then about the factory made, nib. 306 PUM i have. nr.G005101. Again 6 digits. What day should that reel have been produced? My opinion is: a special number for a special produced reel.
I have even seen a 306 with two different serial numbers. One on the foot and one on the flat surface where the rotor is conected on the housing. I was unfortunatly overbidden on this reel by ebay:-(
Maybe we will never find out how it was ment, but i will not be satisfied before i know it.
Any information is welkome, because i won,t give up on this to find it out.

Regards Ron.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 am • #  

Hello Wayne:

I,m i right that the 306 pum i discribt above would have been made at the 5th. januar 1978?

Regars Ron.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:20 am • #  
Administrator

Hi, Ron:

For sure, this is why dating reels can be fun and interesting, and sometimes frustrating.  According to the dating system I previously mentioned, you would be correct with a date of January 5th, but it would have been made in 1977 (G) and not 1978 (H).  Also, in this same system, there can be reels with the same serial number, as all reels made on a particular day of the year would have the same serial number.  Your 840 with seven digits is something I haven't personnally seen, but according to the dating system, it would have been made December 20, 1977 on production line 12.

I have never heard of a 306 with the serial number on the body anywhere except the bottom of the foot.

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:25 pm • #  

Hi,

I have a Mitchell sn A46488 with all original parts.  I would like to sell it but am uncertain of the best method.  Can you offer some advice?

Thank you,

Shawn 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:35 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Shaun

It would be best if you put the details along with some pictures in our For Sale or Wanted page, here is the link to it
http://www.mitchellreels.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=78/Mitchell-For-Sale-or-Wanted

This link will tell you how to insert your pictures
http://www.mitchellreels.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75/How-to-Insert-Pictures-in-Your-Post

Or of course you could list it on eBay.

I hope this helps, kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 pm • #  

I have a crappy 300 that came with a job lot. The serial number is 1045632 stamped on the housing which makes it a '56 V5. A/R works just fine, bail bar release is locked up and no handle. The head needs a repaint and the body a good scrub and touch up. So only a period handle, shiny bailbar and trigger maybe and a bit of time to make it good.

Question here is this worth a restore. Does having the SN on the housing have any collectors significance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff

There is no great significance about that reel having it's number on the housing, all 300's had the number on the housing until sometime in 1957 when Mitchell went back to putting the numbers on the foot.
For interest, the highest number I have found on a housing so far is 1869145.

"Is it worth restoring it?" That's up to you mate, it's your reel and your time.
If you enjoy restoration work it may be worth doing purely for the satisfaction you would get from restoring it but not, I think from the monetary aspect.
Mitchell made a great many 300's around this time and a lot of them are still out there, some in really lovely condition.
Your reel will never be worth a fortune whatever you do with it but it will be a great reel to fish with if you do decide to do it up.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:06 pm • #  

Thank you for the reply. I will restore it just for the love of it. Plus just picked up a 300 '53 V4 SN 159200 (on side), just inscribed Mitchell (no 300), 2 on the foot, unreinforced shaft, no exposed rivit in the a/r lever, but wrong handle. Again I will restore it.

Interestingly I picked this one up in a lot ($10) which also contained on of the last 300's made in Taiwan.

I will have all these fully described on my web site and if you find one that may help in expanding the identification knowledge please let me know and I'll back it up with detailed photos.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jeff, 

Alot of what Roy has said I would totally agree with.  I hope you enjoy bringing this reel back to it's original condition.  I look forward to seeing it when you are done.  Maybe on a rod, fishing it, with a big bass on the end of the line.  Cheers Mate!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 am • #  

I seem to be having difficulty looking up the SN on my reel. The SN is A149T63. All the posts I have not been able to find a post that mentions having an extra letter inserted in the numerical SN. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello and welcome to our group.

I have never seen a serial number with a letter in the middle of the numbers but I guess a mistake could happen when the number stamps were being loaded, are you sure it's not a 7.

Whatever, the letter A followed by 6 digits dates the reel to 1971.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 am • #  

I have a Mitchell Salt Water reel that my Dad left to me and I want to know how old it is and what model. It has a SN A12175 ?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Woody,

Welcome to the group mate!  Your reel dates to 1971.  The A which is in the front numbers tells me the year made.  Enjoy your reel!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:47 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

That serial number is from the early 1950s when the letter "A" was first used on the Mitchell Salt Water reels. If I'm correct, the reel should only say "Mitchell Salt Water" on the cover plate, the serial number is also located on this plate.

Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:54 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace, 

Thanks for the correction on the serial #.  Roy also gave me a heads up too!  I must have missed that info somewhere in my brain.  Its Memorial Day War movies watching today.  Must be a little shell shocked.  Cheers to all!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:02 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Scott,

Assuming I'm right, you're welcome. It would be nice if the original poster would confirm the engraving, etc...

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 am • #  

Thanks for the feedback, I can confirm that the engraving on the side says Mitchell Salt Water as well as having the SN on that side and on the other  side is a yellow (looks like) decal that says
"A garcia PRODUCT"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 am • #  

Here's one I just got:

And it's serial number is past those in the original message.

When was this made?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm • #  
Global Moderator

NJ_Bob,
Nice looking reel!
From what I understand, Wallace compiled spreadsheets from information from reels he had access to. If I'm correct, this would mean that there might be reel serial numbers that would not be present on Wallace's list.
So, I would say that your reel would be made in either 1970 at the very end of the consecutive serial numbers, or 1971 whenever they started the A numbers that year.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:30 am • #  

Thanks Ted - that would put it right at the time I really wanted to buy one and could not afford it! Perfect. I was in junior high school at the time, and went fishing at every opportunity. I was fortunate that I lived within bicycle riding distance of a nice reservoir that had a good perch population in it, along with a run-off pond that has a load of huge panfish in it which were really nice to catch on a fly rod.

My son is attending U of Arkansas and he tells me that there's some good fishing up there, so I'm going to put together some 300 and 308 equipped rods and go with him and see what we catch. I'm going to present him with a set of these vintage reels so he might get out and do some more of it with some of his friends up there who he tells me go fishing on a regular basis.

-Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 am • #  

OK, here's a nice 308 that I got off of eBay - I paid a little extra for this one, but it sure looks nice. It's been used a little, but looks very well cared for - or at least not abused. It looks to me like this is a first version - perhaps a late one with the hex nut under the spool? Am I right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey NJ_Bob,
Looks like another nice reel.
I believe the very first 308 that came to this country had just "Mitchell 308" engraved on the handle side with that "Fronce" behind the handle. These reels also had a round slotted rotor lock nut.
The next one imported had Garcia Mitchell 308 engraved," Fronce" along with the round lock nut. Then the third one was the same as the second, except for the round lock nut was replace with a six sided one.
The next one was minus the "Fronce".
I think I have the order correct, but you can check the gallery where Wallace has the progression.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:46 pm • #  

Wallace, very informative information, greatly appreciated. I am new to Mitchell reels. Actually, I've inherited one from my father. As I do not fish, was looking for more information on my reel and approximate value so that I can pass it on to someone who would better appreciate it, but did not want to 'give' it away. I'm sure Dad would have rather I convert this into something that I would use and enjoy.

Based on your information, I have a type 3 1949-1950 salt water reel. The know is not red - though the slotted plug is. Serial #: A11870 It is in very good used condition. No rust or corrosion, has bale with spring intact.

How would I best go about marketing this reel? What would be the range that I should be asking/accepting for it?

Thank you, George

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:01 pm • #  
Administrator

Thanks for the compliments George. As far as you father's reels; they're not worth much, say $25 to $75 at the most. To me, I'd clean them up any place them on a shelf. Someday, someone will want them. Cheers, Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:46 am • #  

I have recently acquired a Mitchell 300 with only three numbers on the foot.
The number is 710---I can find no reference as to the approximate year of production in any of your previous forums.
Can you help me with a solution?

Thanks Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:05 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Troy,
Welcome to the Mitchell Museum.
Many times the serial numbers didn't get stamped well enough for all the numbers to be legible.
My advice would be to post, at least, a picture of the handle side of the reel and some timeframe can be determined by how its features are configured.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm • #  

Having owned several mitchell's and not being able to clearly read the serial #'s on the reel foot, is there any other ways to identify years?
( anti-reverse levers, ect )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi icecold,
In the absence of complete serial numbers, you might get an idea of the approximate age of the 300 series by studying the different versions of them in the Gallery at this link.
http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php ... &Itemid=72
As far as the other models, sometimes, you can get some information from their respective Gallery pages.
There is a lot printed about there about changes of a/r, engraving, etc.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 pm • #  

Thank You Sir for the info !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 am • #  

Hi I have a mitchell 300 reel with a serial number of b643791 with a # 4 stamp on the foot of my reel,, could you give me an idea of the date of this reel?
thanks again

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 86 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply