Half bail spool variations

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Altposaune

Half bail spool variations

Post by Altposaune »

Hello,

Which of the 3 half bail variations features a spool where the 3 main parts are held together by 6 screws? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ted Lanham

Re: Half bail spool variations

Post by Ted Lanham »

Altposaune,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
Sorry, I didn't respond to the same question you posted yesterday, but I had to check my reference.
Both the 2nd and the 3rd versions large capacity spools had six screws. I believe that there were different spring configurations between the two versions.

I'm going to remove your post from yesterday to remove the duplication.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Ted,
I agree 100% with you, but. I think Wallace should weigh in on this and answer regarding the first version reel spools. What do you think?
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Altposaune

Post by Altposaune »

Thank you very much for the information. Good answers always seem to inspire more questions. I have a few more, if you don’t mind.

I noticed, from the very fine study of the first variation, that 1st variation spools had 3 screws. Did all 1st variation spools have 3 screws? I would also like to hear more about the different spring variations that were mentioned on all three variations. In addition to this, I’d also like to hear information on the various clicker shapes. There seems to be more than one “thin/narrow” clicker?

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Altposaune,
I don't have any 2nd and 3rd versions anymore, but I was able to locate some early spools that may help with your spool question. I'm hoping this picture will help. I believe the oldest is on the left with part of the clicker spring missing. The next two are newer with the 3rd version on the right.
There some minor difference between the two on the left.

I was never able to obtain a first version, and since I no longer have a second and third version, can't do pictures.

Regards,
Ted Lanham
Attachments
20211031_141902.jpg
20211031_141902.jpg (259.59 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Ted,
Your photo perfectly illustrates several important facts regarding the early spools. :text-coolphotos:
1. Going from left to right, the first spool shell bottom shows a 2nd version spool pawl and attached spring. Also, as Ted has already pointed out, note that the spring arm on the left side of this pawl is missing, which was a very common issue with this design. In addition, note that there are now 6 screws unlike the 3 screw designs discussed earlier. This is due to the spool capacity. Three screws were used for large capacity spools and 6 screws used for the small capacity spools.
2. The second spool (from left above) or center spool is indeed a first version spool shell! Note the narrower design of the pawl from the spool pawl shown to it's left. This spool, has both spring wires intact.
3. The third spool (from left) has a new design for both the spool spring and pawl. This design appeared around 1949/50 for the 3rd version Mitchell reels as Wallace Carney points out so well in his book.

We are only discussing the differences between the spool shell and spool pawl designs here. There are other features of the complete spool assembly's which have been left out for this post.

If you are interested in all parts of the Classic Mitchell 300 reels and spools, then I highly recommend you buy Wallace Carney's book: "THE MITCHELL CLASSIC 300 SPINNING REEL - 1939 TO 1989". This is the finest book ever written on the subject and gives so much fascinating information on the subject.
Kind Regards,

Altposaune

Post by Altposaune »

Gentlemen,

I can’t thank you enough for your help. Thanks so much for the excellent photo. It appears that, from what I’ve read, I have one first version spool and one second version. That is, judging only from the pawl and spring arrangement. Sorry, but I have two new questions based on the information I’ve just read.
1. On both of the spools, there is an extra piece of spring wire that doesn’t serve any purpose. At least, that is, to my inexperienced eyes. Is this piece of wire meant to be used in fabricating a new spring in the event that the old one wears out?

2. I’m a little confused about the terminology used re “large” and “small” spools. I think that it was stated that large spools had 3 screws and small spools had 6 screws. It appears to me that both of my spools would be “large CAPACITY” spools. Both, however, feature 6 screws. Do I have this backwards? Both of my spools have an arbor diameter of appr. .80”

Best,
John AKA Altposaune

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Bill,
Thanks for the help on this spool question. Since I never owned a first version Mitchell, I never dreamed that the middle spool might have been from a 1st version. I can only assume that, perhaps, those spools were early carryovers into 2nd versions. Of course, over the years I may have gotten one on a reel that was made of multiple version parts.

John, I think that other spring is used to hold the fishing line when it is inserted there.

Small capacity spools have an arbor that measure about 1 3/8 inches. So, it sounds like you have two large capacity spools with the narrower arbors that have the six screws.

Ted Lanham

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Greetings John, Bill, Ted and All Mitchell Mates,

I am so happy to see that I am not the only Mitchell Nerd... :text-bravo:

I've attached 2 photos that will help explain what we're talking about and more.

This shows the different spool pawls used in the first 2 Mitchell reel versions. Ted is correct about the Wire Line Clip. Note the slot cut in the spool shell making room for the clip!
This shows the different spool pawls used in the first 2 Mitchell reel versions. Ted is correct about the Wire Line Clip. Note the slot cut in the spool shell making room for the clip!
10.2.JPG (50.16 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Note the various differences between the two spool versions. One has room for the fiber drag washer. Why not both???
Note the various differences between the two spool versions. One has room for the fiber drag washer. Why not both???
10.JPG (49.28 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Most Mitchell reel collectors refer to the evolution in various spools as versions including me, but that's confusing! In Spools, what we call first version spools are found in 1st version reels. What we call 2nd version spools are found in very few 1st, most 2nd and some 3rd version reels. There are many who have documented this including me or in other words, you can't judge the authenticity of the early half bail version reels by the spool it came with. I do hope I'm making sense...

Cheers to all you lovely people,
Wallace

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Not to try to confuse, but I have an early second version with Rosewood crank grip. It came with this small capacity, first version spool with fiber drag washer cut out, first version spindle, first version pawl, no line capacity marking on aluminum drag nut adjuster and three screws (in close to the spindle hole). This is a configuration I've never seen before.

Sandman
2nd Ver Spool.jpg
2nd Ver Spool.jpg (145.91 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
IMG_2312.jpg
IMG_2312.jpg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 5408 times

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Sandman, that's what I'm talking about, a simple question and new information is received, at least it's new to me. Thanks for the images and the correction.

Best Regards, :text-bravo:
Wallace

Altposaune

Post by Altposaune »

Thanks for the additional information and wonderful photos! It seems that there’s always something new to learn about these reels. You collectors with more experience can correct me if I’m wrong but it also seems like there might not be any way to say, definitively, that there are any hard and fast rules concerning the various parts and pieces? There are always exceptions?

One more question: are there any parts of the spool pictured with the 2nd version caption that are made of molded plastic?

Thanks to all,

John

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

John, the body (arbor) of my spool is plastic...likely Delrin, or similar...all else is aluminum

Sandman
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg (176.41 KiB) Viewed 5389 times

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Sandman,
Yes I remember the discussion regarding these spools back in 2018. I believe it was part of the Re: All things Garcia/Mitchell/CAP post that was so well received by everyone. Seems like we were not able to come to any conclusions but I do remember that these spools had unique spacers and plastic centers made out of poly carbonate I would imagine.

Oh yes, these spools all used three screws for both the small capacity and large capacity versions.
First Ver-3 screw-plastic arbor-Sm Cap.jpg
First Ver-3 screw-plastic arbor-Sm Cap.jpg (35.44 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
First Ver-3 screws-plastic arbor-Lg Cap.jpg
First Ver-3 screws-plastic arbor-Lg Cap.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Kind Regards,

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Thanks Bill...that helps clear it up...I remember the topic you are referring to, but don't remember the spool posts...so good to see....do either of your arbors have the cut out for a fiber washer like mine? I'm wondering if this was added in early second version production? Obviously some of the first version parts carried over to second version, as so often is the case and why 'version' should always be used loosely.

Sandman