Spinning in America

A place to post history on anyone or anything associated with Mitchell...
cshannon772

Spinning in America

Post by cshannon772 »

Hello Mates,

Several days ago I had the luxury of spending an evening in the Reel Room and while perusing the Christmas edition (Volume 2, Number 4) of Garcia's "THE SPIN FISHERMAN" from late 1954.
New Book.jpg
New Book.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
I came upon this advertisement which caught my eye.
New Book 1.jpg
New Book 1.jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
So I decided to research this book. What I found most interesting is the title of the book "Spinning in America" by Ray Ovington. Yet the cover of the book featured photos of 3rd Version Mitchells made in France?? At that time (1954) there were many American made spinning reels manufactured throughout the country - most full bail and very well made such as Ocean City and Airex, but the author chose a half bail Mitchell to feature on his cover.
New Book 2.jpg
New Book 2.jpg (178.94 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
New Book 3.jpg
New Book 3.jpg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
From my research, Ray Ovington was a very well known sport fisherman of his time and renown for his knowledge of the sport - very highly thought of as an expert Fisherman. I believe that it speaks volumes for the quality and reputation of the Mitchell Reel (Made in France) to be the feature reel on the cover of a book written by a famous American fisherman entitled "Spinning in America" while there were many quality manufacturers making very fine reels made in America. Clearly Mr. Ovington thought very highly of the Mitchell reel; Much like us. I have yet to read the book, but thought I would share an interesting piece of Mitchell history in the U.S.. This book, written in 1954 is not an easy find in good condition so I feel fortunate to have found this one - there are several editions but I wanted an original.....Book report to follow Mates. As always, comments and questions are always welcome.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Fishabout

Re: Spinning in America

Post by Fishabout »

Very interesting Chris and how did you find that book you must have long tentacles.

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Chris,
It's never ceases to amaze me what can be found on the internet. I did a quick search, and there were several available. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

fishawks

Post by fishawks »

Hi all! I am kind of a book nut. I have all the versions of the Spin Fisherman. I made it a point to find and order all the books and publications advertised within it's pages, including the one just spoken of. I was careful to get the primo condition exact books with the correct copyright dates in them and original dust jackets that they came with. Even the childrens books. It was a great look into the past times for fishing in America. Some of the books were hard to find. Dan