Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 am • #  

Please help fill in any gaps and needed corrections on my excel document

UPDATED WITH CORRECTIONS 3-14-12

Notice I have some ?'s, any help appreciated

Regards, Reid

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

Last edited by treidm on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am • #  
Global Moderator

Reid,

Interesting spreadsheet! the oops, I think I found is with a 3rd version half bail. I think it should be serial # is on either foot or housing, not foot & housing. I will leave to the reel experts to tell otherwise.

Cheers!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:44 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Scott

That word “expert” scares the hell out of me, almost put me off answering.

When serial numbers first appeared they were on the foot but there were also many half bails with the serial number on the housing. The lowest housing number I have found so far is A72114.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 am • #  

Thanks, I will make corrections.
I also noticed in another post that It was said that after sn 190816 1953, was when cross wind became standard, so will make that correction also, showing 51-52 C series, having level wind as standard

What years was the option of crosswind or level wind offered?

Regards, Reid

"If capitalism is fair then unionism must be. If men have a right to capitalize their ideas and the resources of their country, then that implies the right of men to capitalize their labor."

--Frank Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Reid

Lets be clear about this, I didn't say that 190816 was when cross wind became standard.
What I said was that all the ones that I have seen after 190816 were crosswind. Below that number I have recorded both cross wind and level wind.

Please understand that this is based on the small sample of 40 or 50 reels from that period that I have actually had in my hand and recorded the details.

Remember also that gears are easy to change.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:02 am • #  

Understood Roy, thanks!

I was trying to compile how they came from factory, not accounting for people switching them out.

In fact I recently acquired a '69, that has what looks like the Jan Haanstra cross wind main gear
My '68 has the normal looking cross wind in it

Sorry I'm so behind the times on information, just been at collecting Mitchell reels for a short while, beg for patience please

thanks for all help!

Regards, Reid

--Frank Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Reid,
Your chart shows a "test 4" reel made 50-52 with a low and high serial number range. I have one that has a serial number B24148,
so there may be some latitude to that range.
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:15 pm • #  

Thank you Ted, I have made correction

Regards, Reid

--Frank Lloyd Wright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 am • #  

I also noticed in another post that It was said that after sn 190816 1953, was when cross wind became standard, so will make that correction also, showing 51-52 C series, having level wind as standard

If looking for 220-801 exam help then head to Pass 4 sure training program for guaranteed success and get free download link for next Pass4sure SY0-401 exam. See more detail about this products ARM on Rockefeller University and wikipedia Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:10 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Chocalate7,

Yes is probably the answer, but leave some room for a little overlap. Based on the # of documented reels this is what the spreadsheet leads us to believe. Cheers

Regards, Scott

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply