Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 30 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Best Lube
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:17 pm • #  

What is the best lube to use for old 300's?

Post subject: Re: Best Lube
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:32 am • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings Schrack,
Welcome to the Mitchell reel museum.

There's been a significant amount of discussion concerning the best lube for Mitchell, and everyone has their favorite. :sBo_bounce2:

Here's a bit of a past discussion that might help.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4315&p=16042&hilit=grease&sid=01205e84b06f09d6608265e1c99ce9d4#p16042

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm • #  

Lucas Gun oil seems to work fine has brought several back to life, heck its good enough for my Sigs, Mitchells should not be a problem. Regards, Ron P/S why can"t I view dates board?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:30 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Schrack,
There are some current problems with the Museum that being worked on, but go down to the "Articles" link and there is a dating chart there that Wallace posted.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:59 pm • #  

Danke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:11 pm • #  

I go to article but only pull up two articles.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm • #  

Schrack,

We have all made that mistake. When you are on the beginning page of the forum (discussion groups) scroll down for articles, about the 5th one down.
Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm • #  

Hey Ted,

I’m wondering if lubrication as a topic/thread could be anchored, fixed-at-the-top (what’s the correct term?) of the “Mitchell Service Talk” Forum tab. It’s an issue that repeatedly comes up and is of importance to Mates. I remember as a newbie/novice for my first relube (decades ago) I used the grease I had on hand which turned out to be too dense, slowing and making retrieve harder.

A question would be whether to start a thread anew or to pick an existing thread to continue from. Either way, I would appreciate seeing the input of saltwater maestros, such as don309.

Hey Schrack,

Sei gegrüßt! I could not help but notice “danke” in your reply.

May I respectfully suggest you add the country you are based in to your profile? Mates are very welcoming to international members. And, such an acknowledgment helps all understand what you may be familiar with in the American and European markets.

Whereas I may think of myself as somewhat strange/foreign, I have now updated my profile to identify that I’m based in the US.

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

John,
Attaching "Lube" near the top of the "Mitchell Service Talk" sounds like a good idea, except I don't have the knowledge to make that happen. If you are familiar with the way these sites work and can give me a trip how to accomplish this, I'll give it a try.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:03 pm • #  

Hey Ted,

Sorry, I don't know the options to select to make that happen.

I guess we may put that on the list for consultative support.

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

John,
I experimented assigning an icon to the first post and it appears to have raised this up near the top of "Service Talk", but I don't know how long it will stay there.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 am • #  

I am by no means an expert, on witch lube to use. I do not worry about grease getting hard, As I tear down all the reels I use during the winter. With that being said, I only use Corrosion Block. I'm sure to put a thin coat on the whole reel, inside and out! Having had a couple reels, take a dip in saltwater. This stuff is amazing, water just beads off it. I do maintenance on any reel, that has had contact with saltwater right away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:39 pm • #  

I use SUPERLUBE, a clear, synthetic grease.

Best Regards,

G. Glen Simpson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm • #  

don309 wrote:
I am by no means an expert, on witch lube to use. I do not worry about grease getting hard, As I tear down all the reels I use during the winter. With that being said, I only use Corrosion Block. I'm sure to put a thin coat on the whole reel, inside and out! Having had a couple reels, take a dip in saltwater. This stuff is amazing, water just beads off it. I do maintenance on any reel, that has had contact with saltwater right away.

Don, I've experimented with quite a few different grease formulations, and I've been thinking about trying the corrosion block as well as the Yamalube that has been recommended by another member, but I'm wondering how well it cleans off when you do your yearly service because I too clean them every winter.

I've recently ran into what appears to be one particular grease on reels that I have purchased, that is almost impossible to remove,
but it does seem to be a good quality grease and the reels spin nicely. Whatever it is, it would probably be a good choice for reels that get very little use, and never get torn down.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:10 pm • #  

Schrack, I've used quite a few different grease formulations over the years.
I don't remember all of them but I've used the Abu Garcia grease,
Superlube, and a couple that were designed for firearms that get a lot of use. Tetra Lube is one and the most recent I picked up is called TW25b MilComm which seems to be similar to Tetra Lube.
The TW25 certainly isn't cheap, but I figured if it works good on semi automatic pistols that get a lot of use, it should work good
on a spinning reel. I've used the Tetra lube on Glocks and 1911 handguns that I routinely shot 500-600 rounds a day, 5-6 days a week, and it seemed to work very well. The nice thing about synthetic lubes is that they still work nicely even in extremely cold temperatures.

In all honesty I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on grease for a reel, especially if you do regular servicing. I just like to experiment, and the expensive lubes also get used on my handguns, so its a good way to experiment. I'm certainly not an expert on lubes though, this is just my experience, and I would still like to try the Corrosion Block and Yamalube that have been recommended by other members.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 am • #  

Mike,
Corrosion Block, is doesn't dry or wash out. I actually found out about it on a marina. A couple captains use it on their boats, and reels (saltwater). They also told me a lot of guys use it on boat trailers. I've had no problem cleaning it up for maintenance, but I don't try to get it off non-moving parts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:39 am • #  

don309 wrote:
Mike,
Corrosion Block, is doesn't dry or wash out. I actually found out about it on a marina. A couple captains use it on their boats, and reels (saltwater). They also told me a lot of guys use it on boat trailers. I've had no problem cleaning it up for maintenance, but I don't try to get it off non-moving parts.

Thanks Don. I appreciate the info. After dealing with the grease I mentioned that almost refuses to come off, I've been real hesitant about trying any more new lubes, but I'm going to finally pick up a small container and try it out. I have no doubt it will work great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:53 pm • #  

Thank you, Don for your information, Mike for your discussion, and G. Glen Simpson for your contribution. Much appreciated!

Ted,

I'm afraid the "i" icon in the title (subject line) of this thread, although good to indicate this is an informational thread, may not anchor the thread at the top, as it doesn't match the other anchored threads. Well okay ..., I've used the "i" icon in a subject line at another tackle forum; it alerts, but doesn't anchor.

Anyway, this thread is off to a great start to get anchored when that's figured out.

Thanks for your great moderation.

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:25 am • #  
Global Moderator

étranger,
You are correct. The icon I put on this string just moved it close to the top till someone else posts something. I tried.
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:31 pm • #  

Hi Ted,
I think the item you are talking about is called a "Sticky Topic" by our software company. The name Sticky Topic comes from a reference to those little yellow sticky notes, post-it-notes, and etc. Different software companies call them different things.
We do have Sticky Topic capability here at MRM and you can read about them if you go to the box above, which is outlined in red and titled: Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group.

Click on the gold colored words below the above title where it says: "Please Click Here to learn how to make a post......".
Once the new window opens- Scroll down until you come to the heading called: Formatting and Topic Types. Listed below it you will see where it says: What are Sticky Topics?
Select it and you can read about them. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

I think Wallace might have to enable the Sticky Topic usage if it is possible to use them with our forum.

Hope this is helpful. :sHa_okay:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:49 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Bill,
Well, I hope I didn't upset anyone by doing that "sticky thing" to this string. The action moved it to the top of the list which I didn't expect. I figured it would place the string right below the others that had been there before, so if anyone objects I will remove it.
Bill, thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 pm • #  

If I could figure out how to do a profile I would, I am American German family originally from Rhine Valley, came here in 1717 on a ship called Peg, settled in Pa, my original Schrack was friend with a guy called Ben Franklin. The Von was dropped from name when they came here in 1717. I am a retired Air Force guy who now works for Delaware DOC.. Regards, Ron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:47 am • #  

Ron,
What part of PA do you live in? I'm from Philadelphia.

Don

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:09 pm • #  

Lock Haven, now reside in Dover, Del. I haven't figured how to do profile, working on ot. Regards, Ron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:52 pm • #  

Schrack,
I had relatives from Lock Heaven. I camp with a buddy and fish Indian River Inlet Delaware.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am • #  

[b]Have taken several apart, cleaned and oiled. oil Lucas weapons oil, seems to work. Can't remember their is not a gasket on the cases. I was thinking maybe could flush with kerosene in a spray bottle dry and relube.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 pm • #  

Schrack wrote:
[b]Have taken several apart, cleaned and oiled. oil Lucas weapons oil, seems to work. Can't remember their is not a gasket on the cases. I was thinking maybe could flush with kerosene in a spray bottle dry and relube.

I've never tried Lucas gun oil, but I think I have tried just about every other lube that is marketed for guns. They make a lot of products and seem to have a good reputation.

Regarding gaskets on the case, if you are talking about a gasket between the side cover and main housing, the 300 reels did not have a gasket. The A Series reels like 300A and 410A do have a plastic gasket between the two. Most were red in color but there were also some that were made in black. You can put them on the 300 reels but you may or may not have to re-shim the reel to get the correct clearances because of the thickness of the plastic.

I don't know if a kerosene flush would work or not. I'm a firm believer in complete disassembly and cleaning. It really doesn't take long to do it and that way I know for sure that all of the old lube and dirt is removed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:20 pm • #  

Mike 408 wrote:
Regarding gaskets on the case, if you are talking about a gasket between the side cover and main housing, the 300 reels did not have a gasket.

Mike,
Early 300 reels did not have gaskets but many later 300 models (after around 1976) do.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 pm • #  

Started taking the old ones apart to clean. OMG, some of them are like a black ozzy gum inside clean out and apply coat of oil and they function fine. I do not thing one needs to plaster grease on the workings. most of the oils are syn. and do not dissipate, We will see. I have on my own figured out how to dis assemble and assemble the 300's.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm • #  

Two early ones arrived today, will clean them after work, am sure it will be a greasy mess inside. They are version 4 one has a white round handle and other has round black handle. bails are strong, just need cleaned good. As I stated I clean them out apply nice syn lube lucas gun oil, I can't perceive why large amounts of grease need be packed in.

Page 1 of 1   [ 30 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply