Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Auction site parts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 pm • #  

Hello everyone. My first post. Before I get going, I want to say thanks to all involved with the site. I've found a wealth of information and photos.

Now to the subject. I've acquired an early 300 that needs a baffle plate washer and the #2 bail screw. I worked through the schematics to get the newer part numbers and used them for my site search. If I did my homework correctly, the number for the washer should be 81011 and made of steel. What I received was a brass shim washer which I believe is 81012. All of the other offerings for the part # appear to be brass. The #47 pick-up screw should be 81013, but somehow, a wrong screw was sent in it's place. The seller has promised to ship the correct one for that.

My question to the forum is who do you folks like to use for Mitchell reel parts? I realize that is like asking about the cars you prefer to drive, but I've found the popular auction site to be a crap shoot at best. All of the little tackle shops around me have disappeared over the last 30 yrs, so buying over the internet has become a necessity unfortunately. Any suggestions welcome, Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Auction site parts
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:56 pm • #  

Ed, welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum. :sSig_welcome4:
What version of the 300 do you have? What is the serial number? Are you interested in just getting the reel up and working or do you want to use the same as original production parts?
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 am • #  

Thanks for the welcome Bill. The reel I'm seeking parts for is a early Mitchell, serial #556423. If I read the chart right(?) it appears to be a 1954 version that doesn't have the 300 engraved in it.

I have just completed some deep digging using the search function and found a site that was mentioned here a while back, jeffccbc. It looks like he has the part #, but I'm unable to tell if they are steel or not.

I would like to get the reel up and running using as close to orignal parts as possible. The reel has been well used and abused over the years. Paint loss on the body as well as some chrome loss on the bail sort of makes the reel a user.

Kind Regards,
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:13 am • #  

Ed,
Well I agree your serial number dates your reel to 1954. That makes it, what we call here at the MRM a late 4th version, as established by Wallace Carney, our founder.
See:

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... tegory/133

I might add that I was not really surprised when you told me someone on an auction site sold you a shim instead of the washer. I see many wrong, mislabeled parts, on there every day. :sSa_sadeyes:

Looking first at the baffle plate washer. If you are willing to use a baffle plate washer that is not the exact washer used on late 4th versions then it may be easier to find. The most readily available New Old Stock (NOS) seem the be the ones used for the 300A reels. These are colored black and are steel. You should look for an add that says Mitchell #81011 NOS baffle plate washer, in the description of the washer. I like to look for some type of Mitchell label or packaging shown in the photograph of the add that also says Mitchell #81011.
When you search now, you will see more copper colored shims being sold as baffle plate washers, but, you are now looking for a black colored one.
Don't worry, the 300A washer will work just fine on your reel and is definitely easier to find new. But, if you want or can settle for, a used baffle plate washer, then there is another method that you might want to try. :sHa_rollingsmilie:
There are several people who take apart Mitchell 300 reels and sell the parts on eBay. What they often do is take off the baffle plate, washer, and 1-3 shims from a junker reel and put the group for sale on eBay. They then know the parts are correct because they all came off the same reel and they don't have to worry about part numbers. They just say Mitchell 300 baffle plate and washers and show a photo. You might want to try this method.

Looking now at the bail screw, it is just like the baffle plate game. If you want new, look for NOS #81013, Bail Screw #2. Make sure it says NOS #81013 Bail Screw #2, in the description or something very close to that, and that it is for a Mitchell 300.
If you want a used part, try the same method described above for the baffle plate washer. Find Mitchell 300 parts and see what he has. I should mention, that many of the used part sellers also have what is called a "Store". Make sure to check their store if you are not finding what you want. By the way, if you can buy both parts from the same seller you can save a little on shipping by combining the two parts in the same shipment. :sHa_okay:
Hopefully I have also answered your question as to who do I like to use for parts. I like whomever has the part I want, in the condition I want, and at the lowest price including shipping. (Watch out for excessive shipping charges)
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 pm • #  

Excellent response Bill... You did a great job really explaining
everything it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm • #  

I certainly can't add anything to Bill's reply explaining the parts, but in regards to the seller you mentioned in your first post, I have bought from him several times and have never had a problem. Most of his parts are priced very good, and he does combine shipping to save you money.
Sometimes if you have an item you are watching, he will drop the price for a few days, and you can get an even better deal. He usually has quite a few of each part available, so you don't normally have to worry about missing out if one sells...

I have also bought a couple parts and a complete reel from a seller in Canada that sells under the name of Kennyboyskidog. He sells a lot of used parts and I was happy when I dealt with him.
The only downfall is the shipping costs a little more for the small parts for shipping from Canada to the U.S, so while his prices are usually very fair, when you add the cost of shipping, it ends up costing a little more, but if he has a part you really need, it's still not bad because he parts out a lot of earlier reels so it can be easier to find certain parts for the early reels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:54 am • #  

Gentlemen, I apologize for not promptly responding to your helpful replies. My computer needed replacement not long after my last post here and somehow the password I used on the old computer for this site would no longer work with the new computer. It has been over a month trying to get back here. In the meantime, I've successfully restored my Mitchell to operating condition and even fished with it.
The reel performs flawlessly. I'm amazed at how smooth and quiet the retrieve is. I also have a slightly newer 300 that was fished hard and it is still noisy despite my shimming efforts. Sometimes wore out means just that, wore out.

Thanks Bill for for your help. Mike 408, same to you. I have found a couple of auction sites that seem to have their act together and are good at describing their parts.

I'll be back and try to post a photo of my Mitchell.

Regards,

Ed Horan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 am • #  

You're welcome Ed. I'm glad you were able to get your computer and your Mitchell working again, and even had a chance to use it.
There is a lot of satisfaction in bringing something back to life...
Don't give up on your other Mitchell yet. Sometimes a reel can be a little frustrating and test your patience, but I have a feeling if you keep after it, you will find the magical combination.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm • #  

Attachment:
1954 Mitchell Reel.jpg
Here's a photo of my Mitchell Reel before I installed new line on the spool.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply