Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm • #  

I have a yard sale find 308a reel that I never used. I finally dug it out cleaned, and lubed it, and it is real smooth. Too smooth!! When I cast it the handle rotates a little, and snaps the bail shut. Is there a way to correct this ? Thanks in advance for any expertise on this. I like the reel, but I hate slinging off $4 spinners :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:34 pm • #  

Hi Hrgriz,

I'm a long way from being a 308A expert and I don't even fish with one but my Brother gave me one a few years ago so I took a look at that one. I think the problem is where the counter-weight is in the rotor when you try to cast that allows it to rotate slightly. The counter-weight will be at the bottom of the rotation of the rotor cup (minimize movement) when the bail is to your left and you are looking straight down at the line guide/large bail assembly, prior to opening the bail to prepare to cast. Bail moves from left to lock on the right. Only a guess on my part but may be worth a try.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 am • #  

Hrgriz I'll take a guess with Chris. Is the trip working properly? spring tension, trip lever catching the bail right (in the slot). That's all I got. Hope this helps.
Don

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:59 pm • #  

Hrgriz,
Forgot to ask hows your grandson's 206 working out. Did you go through the bumpers yet?

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:58 pm • #  

Thanks Chris I did what you said and it works good.I bring the bail to horizontal on the left and inertia doesnt take over. Thanks for the help. I may just swap the bail to my 408, and resell it.
David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 pm • #  

Don, I checked everything you
mentioned, and it was all functioning
properly. The spinner head will turn
when you breathe on the handle. Also
my grandson loves the reel, but I am on
the second bumper already. Kind of a
different set up. But it is his favorite.
Again thanks for your help! :tup
David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 pm • #  

David, I can't add much to what the Mates have provided, but I do know that it's not uncommon for the bail stop end of the trip lever to get a bit tweaked...when this happens, it does two things; 1) either creates more or less pressure on the trip stop and/or 2) maligns the bail holding slot with the trip lever...fine adjustments to the trip lever can solve both of these issues. These adjustments to the trip lever will move the inside end of the trip lever in or out, which will in turn increase or decrease the pressure it takes to trip the bail...If you bend the trip lever (the end outside of the spool) just slightly away from the bail, you increase the pressure on the trip stop and thus requiring more pressure to trip the bail (maybe it wont trip when casting then). It's touchy, because you can bend too far, which causes the trip ever to hit the trip stop at each rotation, even when the bail is closed. It can also be just a worn out trip lever. Replaceing with new may solve the whole thing and avoid needing to adjust the old lever.

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:48 pm • #  

I don't have as much experience as many of the others on here, but I got curious and (having too much time on my hands) started playing around with my 308 to try to duplicate the issue.

I did finally find one way to consistently cause the bail to close when casting.

It took a combination of 2 things:
1 - Opening the bail vertically from bottom to top (instead of horizontally from left to right)
2 - Having the handle in the forward position

It seems like the inertia from the handle will pull it downward (same direction as retrieving) starting the head to rotate, and the combination gains enough momentum to trip the bail.

As long as the bail was opened from left to right, I couldn't get the bail to trip no matter where the handle was.

For what it's worth,
J.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:58 pm • #  

Jr, I see what you mean...in 40 years of using a 308 I've never experienced that....though I've never payed attention to handle location, I've always made sure the bail (line side) was facing straight up when flipping the bail...in your terms, from left to right....so I tried it with your two criteria and sure enough, I got the bail to trip on a cast...the reason I always flip the bail left to right is because my dad told me to do this when I was five...so I've never had that happen...I always thought he told me this because the line was right on top this way, making easier to grab...maybe he knew more than I thought...Dad's always do..

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:27 am • #  

I took out both my 308 and my 408 after it quit raining. I was able to duplicate my 308a problem if I really,really tried. I am beginning to think that is why the reel was sold, as it is very clean. I am going to try the new trip lever thing. The original trip lever on the 308a appears much cheaper made than the older reels. I appreciate all the replies from members on here. I just ordered one at the auction site and will let yall know how it turns out.
David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:16 pm • #  

Sandman,

I agree and I was taught the same by my father. I've always turned the line and line guide closest to the rod, where the line could be most easily hooked by a finger, and opened the bail in that position. Regardless of brand or model, left to right or right to left.

Interesting to note that the 300 (350, 400) opens opposite of most (all?) of the other models. Certainly opposite of the 302, 304, 306, 308, and associated models. In other words, they open from right to left.

Something else worth noting, I checked the manual that I have for a 308. The directions state:
1 - Bring line guide portion of pick-up bail to top of reel (nearest rod handle).
2 - Pick up line with index finger of right hand. Back off on reel handle until line guide is entirely clear of line.
3 - With thumb and forefinger of left hand, push down on pick-up bail until it snaps into casting position

This seems to say that the bail on the 308 should be opened vertically from top to bottom! The manuals that I have for the other models do not make any similar statements to "back off the reel handle."

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:35 pm • #  

The 300 (and others listed), rotates in the opposite direction from the rest because of the gear train that is used. The main gears have an extra gear that puts the pinion gear in reverse.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:21 pm • #  

Glen, true statement.

J, thanks, it does seem to say that, since once you've backed off the handle a quarter turn or so, after fingering the line, you would be pushing down on the bail...this would certainly place the trip lever further away from the trip stop and thus making it less likely for the counterweight to gain enough inertia to rotate the head all the way around to the trip stop...I've just never had to do this...I imagine if you followed those instructions each time it would never trip the bail during casting...apparently Mitchell knew this...I've never really thought through those instructions...good digging :tup

Sandman

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply