Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 410 questions
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 pm • #  

Okay Fellas,

I could really use some help with this one…. I bought this 410 at a garage sale for $3. It is a lot cleaner on the inside than the outside. I am wanting to get it dialed in because I plan to fish with it some just for nostalgia sake.

Would anyone be able to help with any of my 4 issues / questions …??

1. The spool seems to be riding too high as the line does not lay evenly and pools at the bottom of the spool. Not a deal breaker but again I am wanting to dial it in right. I assume all the part are original. What would cause this? And how can I adjust it?

2. The gears make a little more noise than normal. Again not a real problem but can I tune it? How? By adding shims here and there? I tried some of that to no avail. It sounds like it might be the gear on the rotating head, but I’m not sure. Would that possibly be related to the spool issue? Educate me guys on this one please.

3. I really would like to get a dust shield for the handle. Anyone have one to sell?

4. The Serial Number is G080703. Does that mean it was made in 1977???

Thank you in advance for your help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Florida Phil on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: See my 410 pics here...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm • #  

The spool rides high I guess because the line bunches at the bottom....

Any ideas on a fix for this??

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 pm • #  

Hi Phil,

I am by no means an expert but my first thought is the spool is not meant for the 410. Look at the gallery and you should see what I mean. I think the spool should sit lower into the rotating head.
Noise wise I look for shimming under the pinion gear, under the head and under the baffle plate. You could also try another pinion gear, I had that be a problem once. Also had the problem be the anti-reverse once too. Check the teeth on the head also to look for wear. There is a great thread somewhere on the site for shimming and noise. Where does it seem like it is coming from? :sCo_hmmthink:
You will get there, just be methodical in fine tuning.
Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 am • #  
Global Moderator

Florida Phil,
I agree with ffwayne about the incorrect spool.
You can also try doing a search at the bottom of the " Mitchell Service Talk" page for line lay and noise. There is a lot of information that can be found there from very knowledgeable mates.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 pm • #  

In the third picture it looks like the spool isn't sitting level. It looks crooked when you look at the bottom of the spool in comparison to the rotating head assembly that surrounds the spool. Maybe it's just the picture.
If it isn't sitting level my first guess would be that the axle is slightly bent. If this is the case, the spool would probably be hitting the inside of the rotating assembly as the spool moves up and down and the head turns. This could certainly be causing a noise, and also make it so the reel doesn't turn as easy as it should, and I would think it would also affect the line lay.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to make sure that the spool is completely seated into place ? If they are dirty inside and have never been cleaned or lightly lubed, they can be a little difficult sometimes to get the spool completely seated. This would also make the spool sit higher than it should.

Don't know if any of these issues are the problem, just thoughts.
With any luck it will help find an answer to your problems.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:16 pm • #  

Thank you, guys, for your insights... I will look at all of these and see how it goes. I think the answer I need just may be at least one of the things you mentioned... maybe a couple of them. The first chance I get, I am going to try them...

Thank you again...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:18 am • #  

You will eventually get it sorted out. Another of the many reasons Mitchell's are great reels is that they are reasonably easy to work on, and there are only so many things that could be causing the problem. Your spool looks to be an aluminum spool that came on some of the 300A and 410A series reels. They are a nicely made and very durable spool. Usually they are seen with a blue arbor.

I just looked at your pictures again and I noticed your bail still has the small red bumper. They are usually completely gone, or really deformed on reels that have seen some use. The 410's are great reels. Good luck on your project. It will be worth it once it is fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 am • #  

Okay Fellas,

I have made some progress on my 410....

I added a second shim (#81024) head to housing and that seems to have fixed my line lay issues completely. Also, from your posts I guess the aluminum spool is from a 410A that someone put on this reel. I like the bright contrast with the aluminum and the spool and line lay seem to be working fine for now, so I will plan to keep it on there. This reel is used and already has its own character and the spool seems to be part of it.

As for the extra gear noise... I added an extra shim (#81047) under the pinion gear and it helped some. I added a third shim and could not notice any more help lowering the noise. So it is some better but still there... I am unsure what else to do to further improve the noise. It's not bad, but I would like to fix it more, if I can.

Also, the dust shield (#81110) on the handle was already missing when I got it.... I would really like to find one. Not luck yet.

Thats it for now. Thank you for all your help and ideas.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:48 am • #  

I almost forgot....

4. The Serial Number is G080703. Does that mean it was made in 1977???

Do you have any thoughts on the approximate year this reel was manufactured?

Thanks again.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Florida Phil,
You are "right on" about 1977 being the year of your reel's production. I agree that those spools look great, and add some personality to your Mitchell. If it spools fine, no problems there.
I will tell you my own experience, sometimes, if I'm not happy with the amount of noise I'm getting from a 300, and I've shimmed it to death, I have just taken the side plate off and put it right back on with the handle in a different position, and it seems to help. Maybe, that's just something I've imagined, but I always try that before giving up. :sHa_rollingsmilie:
Other time times, I have just loosen the screws and shifted the side plate a little, and it helps. I have some assorted dust shields somewhere. I'll check to see if any are for that size reel.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 pm • #  

Thanks for you ideas and support.

I am looking forward to getting out there and fishing with it.

P-

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:11 am • #  

Florida Phil,
Since you mentioned that you want a dust shield (81110) why not buy a new handle assembly, as I believe the one you have is not the correct one for your reel anyways. I know that on the 300C reels there is also a dust shield and it is sometimes sold with the handle, even though it is not officially listed as part of the handle assembly. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Here is a link to a photo of a "G" 410 that Wallace has provided for us which might be helpful to you.(Scroll down to the photo's of the "G" part numbered reel.) :sHa_okay:

http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index ... tegory/499

Part numbers for a 1969 410 handle assembly, and each of the parts that make up the assembly, are as follows:
81098 Handle Shank (410)
81044 Handle Knob Screw
81060 Handle Knob
81059 Knob Lube Port (See MRM knob photo)
81100 Handle, Complete (410)
(Remember that there were 410-left hand wind, and 411-right hand wind reels made and often times required different parts) 8o
Since there is not a 1977 schematic available at the MRM, this is the best I could do for part numbers but I think these will be right. Does anyone else have a 1977 schematic?? :help:

By the way, while you are looking at the photos in the MRM Gallery of your reel, you might want to look closely at the line guide on the reel shown. :sFun_eyescan: You will see the roller type of line guide which is what the final version (G) of the 410 reels were equipped with. This did not happen until after the 1969 version, which is what my schematic is dated, so I could not include part numbers of it.
Hope this helps,
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 am • #  

Hi Bill,

In the last paragraph of your above post you mention the different style of bails for the 410. If you were wanting the part numbers,
the early version bail that had the small red bumper and standard line guide is part number 81102 if I remember correctly, and
the later version that no longer had the bumper but has a roller line guide is part number 82010.

Regarding the handle you are correct that the one on the reel in the pictures is not the correct handle.
It does have the larger T style knob but the piece that screws onto the bottom looks to be from a 410A and similar reel.
It should also have the red high speed insert decal in the knuckle, so I am going to make a guess that someone used a 410A / 440A reel handle but used a knuckle from a 300C.
Nothing wrong with that at all, it will still work just fine. It wouldn't fly for serious collectors but for a reel that will be used, I think having the aluminum spool with the slightly different handle give it kind of a cool look, and it's different.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:03 pm • #  

Mike,
I would be happy to help you out.

Mike 408 wrote:
In the last paragraph of your above post you mention the different style of bails for the 410. If you were wanting the part numbers,
the early version bail that had the small red bumper and standard line guide is part number 81102 if I remember correctly, and
the later version that no longer had the bumper but has a roller line guide is part number 82010.

Actually what I was asking was "Does anyone else have a 1977 schematic??" Part numbers are easy to obtain at the MRM. Just go to the 'Home' tab at the top of this page. Scroll down to the second row of windows where you see a window which says "Parts List" at the top in red letters, and select it. When the window opens up, scroll down to where it says: "1946 - 1968" and select the model number of your reel from the list. You can also type in the reel model number under where it says: "1968 - 1979" and get results as well. This is just another free service available to all at the Mitchell Reel Museum!! :sFun_crazydance:

Anyways, the reason I was asking if anyone had a schematic for the 410 is that they are not as easy to come by as other models. This was partly because Garcia, for some unknown reason, made the users manual for the 410 a bit differently than some of the others, that included a schematic and a parts list w/prices. They took and combined the reel models for the 300C, 410, 410DL, and 510, all together in the same manual. This occurred around 1972. Because of this they did not include the schematics for any of the reels (listed above) as they had done in the past for other reels. :sSa_sadeyes:

Mike 408 wrote:
Regarding the handle you are correct that the one on the reel in the pictures is not the correct handle.
It does have the larger T style knob but the piece that screws onto the bottom looks to be from a 410A and similar reel.
It should also have the red high speed insert decal in the knuckle, so I am going to make a guess that someone used a 410A / 440A reel handle but used a knuckle from a 300C.
Nothing wrong with that at all, it will still work just fine. It wouldn't fly for serious collectors but for a reel that will be used, I think having the aluminum spool with the slightly different handle give it kind of a cool look, and it's different.

So I guess you disagree with my suggestion to get a new handle and that's fine by me. Personally, trying to fish with a handle with a Torpedo knob from one reel, a shank from another and a hub from who knows what is a recipe for disaster. I prefer to use the correct parts that were designed to go together, and not something that was cobbled together by someone who had no idea what they were doing. But, that is just my opinion. As they say; "One man's meat is another man's poison." :sFun_oldguy:

The high speed reels, of which this is one, came with handles with longer shanks, a Torpedo handle and were designed......well read it for yourself in the below attached.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:34 am • #  

Hi Bill,

I guess I misunderstood your earlier comment about the bails.
which was why I gave the part for number for both bail styles. Could be because I hadn't slept in almost two days.
I appreciate the info for looking up part numbers here, but I have been using it for quite awhile. It is very handy. I gave the part numbers for the bails going off of memory, but there are only certain parts for certain reels that I actually have memorized.

I don't disagree with your suggestion that he get the correct handle for the 410. In all honesty I would because like you, I prefer to keep things original. I'm actually a little OCD about things. That said, if a person likes something that has been changed from its original configuration, that's fine too.
We all have different likes and dislikes.

I wasn't aware that the handle shanks were shorter for the 300A, 410A reels with the torpedo knob, than the original 410 handles.
I've owned quite a few 410's, but my experience with the A series reels is somewhat limited, and in all honesty I have never compared the length of the two. It's a reminder that I still have an awful lot to learn...

Mike

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Florida Phil,
If you still need a dust cover for that 410, I found some covers that I believe is what you need. The inside diameter is 1/2 in., so to might be able to verify that is the one you need. If you still need it, send me a PM.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:37 pm • #  

Thank you all for your comments. It is very informative and helpful. I really enjoy learning about all of this. I will be in Florida in June and I am really looking forward to doing some old school fishing with this reel.

Thanks again,

Florida Phil

Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply