Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm • #  

:help:
Yesterday I came across a rod and reel combo while fishing. Sadly it looked like it was dredged up after a major flood we had years ago. The white face plate and all the plastic was stained with rust and other minerals and everything needed work to get clean or semi functional in the case of the bearings. Also most of the rust seemed to come from one of the magnets that was completely gone while the other was still protected by its coating, only other part rusted was the bearings and one thumb screw.
Taking a picture before taking everything apart is a DO in these cases and taking it apart while having a couple drinks before bedtime is a DON'T. Having a poor memory doesn't help when it comes time to putting it back together the next day either.
I found the exploded diagram and parts list but its not good enough.
Getting to the point I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take some good pictures of the gear side or if somebody might be able to tell whats wrong from a good picture? Or if someone can find a helpful post or site (besides the schematic from mikesreelrepair.
If not thanks for reading and I'll attempt to get her running and post my results fail or lose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings helpme,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.

From the description of the reel you found with "Magnets", you be at the wrong website. This site deals with the various versions of the vintage reels made by Mitchell in France. If your reel has Mitchell on it somewhere and magnets in it, it must be a much newer reel than is ordinarily discussed here.
Still, if you can give us a name from the reel, someone might be able to help.
Regards,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 pm • #  

Got it pretty well back together? Better than expected at least. Going to test it out and take the pictures. Tenacity and a rainy day helped, also muscle memory from taking down a couple pfluger/shimano low profiles.
Hardest as always for me was the anti reverse for some reason. Larger of the two bearings freed up pretty well after soaking in rust remover long enough/blowing out with a can of air , packed it with a mix teflon/silicon oil. Never got the smaller one to spin well and need to replace it. Cleaned it the same way but dried some liquid graphite in it.
The white face plate was stained red and brown pretty bad, rust remover/rubbing alcohol erased it with no damage, same as most all the surface inside/out, randomly.
So far seems like the quality is pretty good to clean up so nicely, only had one other mitchel, a old ugly spinning thing that I tried to get running but never got it good enough to use. The non french reels look well represented, going to keep an out for a old one in good shape.

gotcha with the reel , made in korea, just the only place I saw but I had a feeling it wouldn't be quite accepted. Only ID I saw is the 200 x, in the title, but the x is above the 200, 5.1:1 ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 pm • #  

Seems to be fantastic compared to expectations and I'd like to play with it and get a catch on before my personal results are final but I would buy a used one on a dime, if possible. Never used a baitcaster, I liked. The presidential pfluger was a nightmare and shimano whatever was worse, think I might be able to cast better with this than those and I know I didn't put it back right and the magnetic cast control/break must be hurting it with only one..
Still, have a close relation to the name and origin of the reel and am happy for that at least, France is on the board to me, even if the details are iffy.

Side note, the magnet destruction could be from the way it rested; maybe acidic rain did that regardless of the plate, same with the bad screw and angle of stains. Whole thing had zero wear on the eyes of the rod or gears. Not picturing how it got to where it was but it has a story.

Found a shimano on a cut off ugly stick for ice fishing on boyd long ago, cleaned it out, 100% sand packed, some screws rusted but it worked for a little while until the drag gave, something I don't understand on spinning reels, when its bottom adjust.

I'll get a picture when I can with the combo but I'm not going to take the side off again until I need to, or someone is in need like me. Something about the anti reverse won't work unless its turned the right way or wants to, too much grease maybe.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply