Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 306 Clicking Noise
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:59 am • #  

Hello,
I have a Garcia Mitchell 306 Reel from my youth. as I rotate the Handle each time the rotating spool goes around it looks like the bail trip mechanism clicks.. I've never had it apart and it is like new. Any Ideas? Thank you in advance. New Member.
Ed

Post subject: Re: 306 Clicking Noise
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:58 pm • #  

Hello ecmonoski, First of all :sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell reel museum, I'm sure you'll find an answer to help you solve your problem from one of the Mates. I'm assuming that the noise you hear is external, so the first thing that comes to mind is the bail is bent a little and hits the handle every time it comes around. The bail will also hit the handle if the spacer that goes on the handle before you screw it into the reel is missing, you can see the spacer if you go to the schematics section and pull up the one for 306 reels. I would check that first. If the click is internal it could possibly be a chipped or broken tooth, or some other problem.Hope this helps, best regards John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 am • #  

John in PA.
The Bail has a good 1/4" clearance on the rotating handle.
What is making the clicking noise is the little pawl each time the rotating spool comes around. It is at the same point that the Bail trips closed if open. If I slightly open the bail that little pawl moves away toward the outside of the real and the click goes away. I have not tried it but I could try to bend the arm that sticks out of the spool with 2 90 degree bends, the one that cocks the bail open. A slight movement there move the little pawl that makes the click away and no more click.
The Reel has Garcia Mitchell on the gear case and 438559 on the reel seat. I could not determine the Model Year from this information.
I have several other reels that I don't use anymore do to some other problems. Particularly a 308, and 2 300's. Is there a place they can be sent for repair?
Thank You,
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 am • #  
Global Moderator

ecmonoski,
I'll add another welcome to the forum.
I've had a similar problem with a few of the 306s that I've had.
The 306 reel come with a small rubber bumper at cushions the snap of the bail. Yours may be missing. They often are. You can check for those bumpers on eBay, but I have just gone to my local hardware store and got a couple very small "O" rings that I placed around the part of the bail where the original bumper was located and it took care of the problem. Here's a link where there is a discussion about doing this.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3732&p=14414&hilit=+o+ring&sid=203ef5a9384882f6180df9cf85774705#p14414

Try this if the original bumper is missing.

Regards,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:09 am • #  

Hi Ted,
I had just finished reading your thread, when you sent the link.
"O" Ring sounds good. My bumper is missing as you suggested.
Is there anywhere you can send these reals for parts and service?
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:39 pm • #  
Global Moderator

emonoski,
I have a guy that I have bought parts from in the past, and I understand that he does work on reels too.
Dick Janak
10 Pamal Lane
New Paultz, NY
Phone 845-255-5874
, but you will miss all the fun of doing it yourself. :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply