Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:58 am • #  

Hi all- just acquired a near pristine Mitchell Match 440A which works perfectly apart from it being a bit "noisy" in operation. The "dab" bail arm works without fault, it's just when winding its noisy like gears meshing roughly. It doesn't jump or anything, and I've had it all apart for inspection and can't see anything amiss. Anyone any ideas? I think it's a 1971 version with what I call the later bail arm attachment opposite the roller mechanism side.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:40 am • #  

Does it have a serial number?? Just asking because I purchased a pristine GM 441 and noisy like yours. Couldn't find a serial number so it was made from NOS parts. More than likely it's a shimming issue which will take time to correct whether factory made or NOS........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:24 am • #  

the serial number is faint but I believe its J008901. Its possible it could be a NOS rebuild, and I do think its a shimming issue somewhere........

thanks

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:24 pm • #  

Hi Chris,

The easiest way to tell if it's a shimming problem is to hold the reel rotor cup down, push the rotor cup forward and spin the handle with the A/R off. Then do the opposite with the rotor cup facing up, push the rotor cup in/down and spin the handle with the A/R off. If it's quiet in the down position, you need to add shims under the rotor cup - rotor/body. If it's quiet in the up position, you need to add shims between the rotor and the baffle plate. If it's noisy in both positions that indicates a gear issue and may require shimming the pinion gear. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:11 am • #  

thanks Chris- thats interesting. It is most definitely noisier in the "rotor up' position so I guess it needs shims adding. Having said that the movement of the rotor vs the body is very small, so a very thin shim will be needed. Apart from the "noise" the reel works brilliantly and is generally smooth- its just slightly noisier that my other 440's (of which I have a growing collection!!) Thanks for your help- A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Chris (in a wet grey windy Bristol, UK)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:13 pm • #  

I just rebuilt a newly acquired 300. I was unfamiliar with the shims. I found two inside after cleaning the parts. When I re-installed, I put one behind the pinion, and one behind the transfer gear. This was wrong. The reel was very noisy. I re-assembled with both shims behind the pinion and then the reel was smooth as it should have been.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:46 am • #  

Being an 'A' model it should have M8 gears inside which were not normally fitted with a shim under the rotor cup, as Chris calls it.

Most service folk like to fit one though, just as good practice....and it sounds like you have room to fit one without having to re-shim above the rotor.

These M8 gears usually run far quieter than the standard gears...indeed I suspect that's why they were created.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply