Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 pm • #  

Hoping somebody can help me replace the pinion/bearing I have it all apart I tried pushing it out and I tried turning it out but it wont budge. Thanks Ed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:20 pm • #  

Hello brook trout, First let me say welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum. It's hard to give an answer because I don't know if you mean the bearing is stuck in the reel body or the rotor. It would help to have a little more information. Regards, John in Pa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:09 pm • #  

Its stuck in the rotor, I did remove the nut, I thought that would leave the pinion/bearing fall out but it didnt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm • #  

Hello brook trout, If you look in the forum under Mitchell reel talk, page7, about half way down you should get enough info to be able to get your bearing unstuck, best of luck . Regards , John in Pa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 pm • #  

If you can't locate the procedure on this site, below is the best method to remove a stuck pinion gear, I've found:

1) Keep crank handle on reel
2) Place anti-reverse in free position (anti-reverse in “off” position)
3) Take back cover plate off
4) Remove axle keeper from oscillation block
5) Remove axle
6) Remove axle hex nut
7) Remove pinion set screw
8) Pull rotor off of housing with pinion still attached
9) Apply penetrating oil to pinion threads at top and bottom of rotor, let soak overnight (steps 8 and 9 may not be needed, I usually try without first)
10) Re-attach rotor to housing
11) Leave hex nut and pinion set screw off
12) Insert axle, with Planamatic parts and oscillation block
13) Use a bit of rag or bit of wood (as a last resort sometimes I have to use a small piece of copper which is softer than the aluminum gearing so it won’t damage the gears) to jam pinion gear and main gear
14) Rotor should unscrew easily (clockwise)

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:00 pm • #  

Thanks John I'm afraid I have to start all over, guess I should have taken it apart before I ordered the part, the part list I got off the internet listed the part #82424 its a pinion/gear assy. but its not the right one, the only thing I can find on the reel to identify it is a ser.# on the bottom of the reel foot the # is
758640 but that don't mean anything to me, but thanks for your help. Ed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm • #  

Ed, your 308 is a 1968 production year...the schematics for 1968 show the pinion gear assembly part number as #81303...the pinion gear part # changed to #82424 in 1976...it seems like the same assembly, so not sure why the #82424 wont work on your reel, unless they sold you a different part...

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:06 pm • #  

Thanks a lot for the great into Sandman that's the part number I ordered 82424 it was listed as new but, I did receive it in a plastic sandwich baggie.
The one I took out looked exactly like the picture of 81303 however the one I received looks like 82424 which had a hex nut on it, not the one that holds it into the rotating housing, the original one had what I would describe as a spacer I'm guessing maybe 1/8" thick.
The new one fits in but it makes a wining sound, the original one was quiet but when I rotated the handle I could feel a bump where one of the bearing was worn or missing.
Not sure what I'm going to do now. but thanks for the great info.
Could I ask you how you found out the date of my reel from the serial No. I have a couple other reels I would like to know the date of manufacture, guess I'm a fanatic 2 -308 2-408 and I think 3-300 again thanks for the info. Ed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:48 pm • #  

Ed, the newer style pinion gear has the hex nut fixed to the gear assembly (82424 - about 1975). The previous version (81303) did not have this hex nut, but rather a knurled adjustable nut and spacer. I suspect Mitchell considered the 82424 design an improvement since the hex nut came preadjusted and was fixed (it also took the factory human adjustment element out of the manufacturing equation to improved quality control).

The whining is common when you install a new pinion gear with an old main drive gear. Even somewhat when both are new. The pinion gear is steel and the main drive gear is aluminum. Until these two "seat" together (the aluminum gear meshes with the steel gear), noise occurs. It's tough to ever get a new pinion and old drive gear to ever seat together, because the old drive gear has already been seated with another gear. Differences in gear milling, wobble, adjustable nut threshold, wear, etc all can add up to create enough difference from gear to gear to create noise. You never know how much noise you are going to have until you try. Sometimes you get lucky and they are quiet. The best way to prevent this is to always keep the two mated (if they've had enough use to seat together), or, replace both with new. Even with both new they can take awhile for the noise to smooth out. This is why I always rebuild my pinion gears on used ULs if I plan on keeping the main drive gear in the reel. You can replace bearings and cups on pre-1975 pinion gear assemblies (do this over a large deep dish pan). I've even purchased NOS pinion assemblies (81303) and used everything but the shaft. As long as you keep the geared pinion shaft original, you shouldn't have noise problems. I only use Quantum Hot Sauce on my pinion assemblies. Never gums up and is very smooth. Doing all this doesn't guarantee no noise (whining) as there are a number of factors that can contribute, much in just how it's all reassembled, but this is how I approach pinion/main drive gear noise, to much success.

Below is the UL dating chart, graciously provided by Christian Lhermitte, world renowned Mitchell collector and fellow Mitchell Mate. When viewing the chart, remember that despite the model, all Mitchell UL reels were serial numbered sequentially. Note: In 1975 (approx) the Julian calendar serial number system begin.

BTW, there is a great dating chart on this site at the top of the page "Dating" for the 300 and other models, just not ULs.

Let us know if you have more questions. Glad to help a mate.

Sandman

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:46 pm • #  

Thanks Sandman,
Think I'll put some heaver grease on it and take it fishing a couple days and see if it quiets down, thanks again Ed

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply