Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 408 reel stem bent?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 pm • #  

Has anyone run into a 408 with a bent stem causing the reel to point slightly downward instead of slightly upward toward the first large guide of the fishing rod like it should? I have come across 2 of these lately and neither shows any marks or scuffs that you would think would be left after such an impact. The whole rod shakes up and down when you reel the lure forward or backward because the line is being directed slightly downward instead of slightly upward. Did Mitchell make some bad 408 reel housings?

Post subject: Re: 408 reel stem bent?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Philip M.,
I have run onto several GM 300's that had bent stems. I imagine that most were caused by abuse of some nature.
If I'm feeling lucky, I'll put the bent body on my carpenters bench vice and with a big Crescent wrench attached to the reel seat try to ,gently, bend the stem back to its original position.
About 3/4th of the time it will straighten, but the rest of the time it breaks the stem. :sCh_taz:
Hopefully, some of the other mates may have better and safer methods for restoring bent stems.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:37 pm • #  

Thanks, Ted. I had used a hair dryer to try to soften the cast aluminum before I tried the bending procedure and got a few degrees of movement after several tries, but not enough. Continued the method and the stem snapped. What a shame because the housing was in great shape and the serial # was perfectly visible. Still don't see how it showed no signs of impact on the paint. Anybody else with an idea? I still have another with the same problem and don't want to move on it until I get some advice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am • #  

Hi Philip M. , Being a retired plumber/ pipe fitter I've worked with different metals all my life ,and I can say it's hard to try to reform something made of a cast metal. First of all a hair dryer does not put out enough heat IMHO. Possibly if you used a small torch like a Burnz O Matic and got the bend almost to the point of turning a little red , rebending it may work. Maybe you can practice with the broken one.The only other way I see is to cut it at the bend , grind the ends so when you fit the two pieces back together the stem is straight and have a " very good " welder weld it together ,grind it smooth and repaint
it. As long as the welding cost is reasonable it may be worth it.Regards , John in Pa.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:03 pm • #  

Thanks Osc. All my research seems to bear-out what you mentioned about trying to bend cast materials. I like the idea of using the broken one for an experimenter. I currently have the stem in my vice between 2 pieces of wood and trying to decrease the amount of bend in the "elbow" of the stem. I tighten the vice just a little, several times a day. I just hope that it's not the wood crushing that allows me to tighten the vice. My vice is unfortunately in an attached garage that is about 52 degrees. It's only a hope at this point. Can't imagine how the stem got bent without breaking in the first place, as I haven't heard of any manufacturing defects in that area of that model.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Philip M.,
Sorry that the stem broke on your reel. I had only tried my method on the 300 reels, so it's possibly something not viable fot the ulta light reel stems.
I checked to see if I had a used 408 frame to replace the one broken, but all I had was a couple very used 308 frames.
As far as Mitchell shipping out defective frames, I find that hard to imagine. Something like that just wasn't done. IMHO

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 pm • #  

If you are just looking to have a user reel, a 308 housing with the thrust washer milling, will work. Just take the dust cap off the handle. Or, there are 408 housings on the big site for under $20, shipped.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:15 pm • #  

Hi Philip M, I got to thinking about your problem and got out eight of my reels to do some checking on them .What I found is that all of the egg shaped reels from the 310 to the 488 all have a five degree slant to the first guide when the foot is horizontal on a rod or just standing on my work bench. Thus if it was in a normal position when fishing "under the rod" it would be pointing up to the first guide. Also all of the reels have a bend in the foot that is about ten degrees + or - from what I measured with a protractor.I have a hunch from what you described that you may not have had any bent reel stems at all, I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time. Just some info so that you don't break your other one if it's not bent. Regards, John in Pa.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply