Mitchell Reel”s 1st 3 Versions Defined

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Wallace Carney

Mitchell Reel”s 1st 3 Versions Defined

Post by Wallace Carney »

Greetings My Friends, I have been catching up on all posts on this site and many others. The one thing that disturbs me the most is misinformation, especially what are the differences on Mitchell’s first 3 Versions. I have posted the following on other sites to fight this. Your comments are welcome as always.

Mitchell Reels 1st 3 Versions!

It’s really simple when you know what to look for and who to ignore. All 3 versions are half bail reels!

The 1st version Mitchell reel is without question the most sought after of all Mitchell reels and versions.

1- The 1st version does not have “Made in France” stamped or casted on the housing or any other place on the reel’s main components.

2- The 1st version has a round anti-reverse knob.

3-The 1st version has no paint primer of any color.

4- The 1st version handles have a wood knob made of rosewood. Many of these knobs have been replaced due to the wood not withstanding the test of time.

Note: There are many other determaning factors but the ones I’ve listed above are easily apparent. To see all 1st version facts see this link:

https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/first-ve ... eel-study/

The 2nd version Mitchell reel looks similar to the 1st version except:

1- The 2nd version has “Made in France” casted on the backside of the housing.

2- The 2nd version still has a round anti-reverse knob with various cuts or grooves on the side.

3- The 2nd version does have paint primer of various colors with the colors gray and orange being the most common.

NOTE: You will find a few 2nd versions with no paint primer on some of the reels components. I can only assume this happens when old stock was used. You can assume when you see this, it’s an early 2nd version.

The 3rd version Mitchell reel marks the end of Mitchell’s production of halfbail reels.

1- The 3rd version still has “Made in France” in various locations on the back of the housing.

2- The 3rd version’s anti-reverse has now changed to a boomerang or chevron shaped lever.

NOTE: You will find 3rd versions with and without stamped serial numbers. It is logical to assume the ones without are early 3rd versions or those made prior to 1948. When Mitchell was first introduced in 1948 to the global market, serial numbers became common on this and all other Mitchell series/models that were made in France.

It’s unfortunate but needs to be said:

BEWARE of those who claim to be experts but give false or misleading information only to increase or inflate the value of their own collection. This in turn decreases or deflates the value of those with good solid bona fide collections!

All The Best,
Wallace

“PS: ATTENTION MEMBERS”

Due to this thread being hijacked by one of the most disgusting of all Mitchell collectors, I’ve had to lock this post. I’ve never done this before but I’ve had enough! It shows what kind of person he is! Who would hijack a post and for what reason? I’ll be posting warnings about him on this and all other sites I’m involved with! He’s been attacking me for years, now it’s my turn!