Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 26 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:05 am • #  
Administrator

Hello mates,

It's easier to show than to tell so I've opened up a new "channel" in YouTube called Mitchell Fishing Reel Service & Repair. Since YouTube videos are limited to 10 minutes, the newest one called Mitchell 308 and Mitchell Service & Repair videos had to be broken into 3 parts. See the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9A8-kkGoBzIX6NSY3mwl6g

These were live and unscripted in one take so forgive my errors and omissions. If they help one person, I'm happy!

Kind Regards, Wallace Carney :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:30 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Wallace

Another great job mate, very well done.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,

Great job again mate and dont worry about the ahhhs, if you didn't put these in it wouldn't sound the sameImage

Regards Martin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 am • #  

Hi Wallace,
Great Job, very informative for us novices.
Regards Vic

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:39 am • #  
Administrator

Hello guys,

Thanks, I hope I will be able to do more in time. It would be great if others would do one of these.

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:40 pm • #  

Great Job Wallace! I especially appreciate the 300 bail wire video. I learned to change that spring by trial and error - it's good to see how an expert does it and makes it look easy!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:09 pm • #  
Global Moderator

To the the Great Mitchell Karnac,  You have outdone yourself again.  The 308 is one of my favorites to play with.  PS if I was loaded with lots of money and needed to start a new venture.  I would start up the Mitchell Reel compamy again and have you run.it.  Agian Thanks for everything your bring to this list. Many kudos for a job well done.  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:53 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Scott and Randy,

Thank you for noticing the effort but I'm not an expert, I've just done many.

I think Pure Fishing should hire all of us for Mitchell design, marketing or at the least quality control.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,

I've watched all you reel maintenance videos over the past couple of days. Really well done. I like your reel cleaning style. You look like you could clean a reel on the dining room table and not get the white tablecloth dirty!

Last edited by gaddis on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Gaddis,

I am happy you enjoyed these. I will be doing more as time permits.

Working in a small apartment it is difficult trying to keep it clean Image

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 am • #  

Nice set of videos, Wallace, thank you. The only trouble is..... now I want a 308!!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:07 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Just letting you know I have added more on servicing the Mitchell 300 that would include "most" classic egg-shaped reels or in other words; those with a 3-screw cover plate. Again, please don't laugh, I do the best I can Image

You can see these at : http://www.youtube.com/user/FishingFilmHistory#g/p

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:52 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wallace, 

I would never laugh at someone trying to teach me something important.  Your videos remind me of how my Dad taught me proper techinques for servicing anytype of equipment.  I really think that you have a very soft touch with regards to helping the less mechanically inclined person have confidence that they can do this also and that a scary monster is not going to jump out and eat them upon opening. .  Image  Cheers Mate!

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 pm • #  
Administrator

Hello All, I'm working on a Mitchell 302 service video if I can get someone to help with the camera. All others were done alone and was very difficult to do everything at once. I'll post a notice here when uploaded. Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 am • #  

Wallace, in one of your videos, you mention that you use the old grease to "document" the reels. What did you mean by that, and what do you look for?

I was reminded of your comments when I looked at the inside of this reel:

My guess from what I saw in your video is that the brown grease may be the original stuff, and the gray grease is more recent although not new either as it is quite stiff. Surprisingly, the axle was not stuck so I suspect that someone may have shot some oil in it too. I got quite a pile of used, stiff grease out of this thing. Now, to clean it!

Regarding cleaning: I've been using WD40 to clean the grease off of everything and it works pretty well, but I have to do it outside, and of course, Murphy's law seems to apply to this endeavor too - as I somehow dropped a pinion gear and lost it on my patio or in my lawn. I didn't notice that I dropped it until I went to re-assemble the reel and noticed it was missing. I had all the parts in a nice metal pan that I "borrowed" permanently from the wife's kitchen, and thought I had it all under control. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I'm looking for a suggestion as to how to do the cleaning better and preferably with an "indoors-friendly" method? Any hints?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Bob, After taking apart hundreds of reels and collecting grease for about 100, I use this knowledge to determine if a reel had been serviced or not. If it's original grease I use it when servicing any Mint reel knowing it's a true collector quality reel. If there's a chance it will be used, I just use new reel grease.

When I was talking about indoor friendly; I was talking about using WD-40. Another would be GooGone. The next would be Goof-Off but it's not recommended for indoor use. I hope this answered your questions... Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:49 am • #  

Wallace,

So, you re-use the old grease? Do you mix it up with some new grease to "wake it up" or?

From my "novice" perspective on this, it shouldn't make much difference what kind of grease is in there, but if it's the old stuff, you really shouldn't turn the crank - right?

It seems reasonable to clean out the old stuff and put fresh grease and oil in an old, mint, un-used reel to maintain it properly. The one I just got fits that category and has the 9993554 serial number. I haven't opened it up yet, but I was thinking that the proper way to preserve the reel itself was to remove all the old, thick stuff, clean it well, and replace it with new grease and oil - and to do so every so often to keep it in tip-top condition so that it'll last many more decades.

So, set me straight on this. What should one do with what you might consider a collector quality un-used reel?

-Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:39 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey NJ_Bob,
It sounds like you have a reel that it would be worth taking your time on.
Most of the time, when I open up an old one the lube isn't completely solid. It just has gotten stiff from setting idle over the years. In that case I add a little 3-in-1 and just stir it around a bit to loosen it up so it can be placed on the moving parts. If it is still tuff to turn the handle I add a squirt of Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil to get into the crevices, and a little into the handle socket.
I have seen it so hard that it wouldn't soften even when removed from the case and a real effort put into it. It just was, kinda, lumpy. I just replace it with some old Garcia lube that I have.
If the reel is going to be used, I just replace the original with a little Lubriplate. You don't need much.
The thing that you need to be carful about is: make sure the screwdriver you use fits the coverplate perfectly without sticking out the edge of the screws. You don't want to remove any faceplate paint around the screws. I had to grind a larger screwdriver down to the size I needed early on.
I'm sure some of the other mates have their own ways of freshening up the old reels, but this is the way I do it.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 am • #  

kevanf1 wrote:
Nice set of videos, Wallace, thank you. The only trouble is..... now I want a 308!!!!! ;)

LOL That happened to me too, so I have a 308 and a 204 on the way!
:rollin :tup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14 pm • #  

Hi Wallace
After watching your 308 videos several times I felt ready to apply your steps to cleaning my 308 that I just recently got. I got through it very easily - even preserving the old original grease that was in it. The old grease was it good shape so I reused it when regreasing the parts as you showed in your video. My 308 turns as smooth as silk now and ready for use for next season's bass fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi John,

These were made to last a lifetime and even when neglected for many years, a good annual service will do the trick. I'm happy to hear it helped you, wish I had time to do more service videos but they are on my list of things to do :tup

Last time I went bass fishing was with a 308. Hooked one that broke my rod but the 308 did fine!!!

Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:28 am • #  

Wallace,
Any chance that you will make a video on cleaning and servicing a Mitchell 306. I have come across a great looking unused collector's item that definately needs a good cleaning and service. Until I know for sure what the task entails, I am reluctant to start the process. I would assume it is somewhat that same as the 308 although the 306 is considerably larger. The 308 has a screw that locks the rotating head to the body. The 306 doesn't have this. The odd looking nut on the inside of the rotating head - if this is removed, is this the only way to remove the head?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 pm • #  

Wallace-- the videos are all wonderful although I swear there are subliminal messages edited in there saying "buy a bunch of trashed Mitchell reels" because since watching them I have a 408, a 304S, a 302, a 300, and I have a 308 coming. All inexpensive. I've been through the 408 using your video as a guide, and it's just great.

I got inspired and decided to clean and service the 302 for a buddy of mine who surf casts, but wow that's a different animal inside! You mentioned above maybe doing a video? I'm ready when you are.

Again thanks, the reels are so much fun to work on.

Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey John & Mitch,

Sorry for the late reply but my workload is overwhelming!!! All the "fun" things I do keeps getting delayed including doing more service videos and even participating more in this forum. I'm happy to hear when I've helped a Mitchell Mate with fixing his reel. This inspires me and gives me strength to keep going. Thanks!!!

It looks like we get more questions on servicing the 306 so this will be next on my list of videos...

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:22 pm • #  

Hi Wallace
Do you have anti reverse dog for a 411
#81-946 and spring#81-039

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Seasearider,

Another way to to possibly get the 411 A/R dog and spring is to contact the seller on EBAY. If you search for Mitchell you will see parts for sale by numerous vendors, they may not be listing the part at this time but if you send them a note and ask they may find it / have it for you and life will be good. Welcome to the site! Cheers

Regards, Scott

Page 1 of 1   [ 26 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply