Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Last time 306 drive gear
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am • #  

Okay guys won't bother post this problem again. BUT I STILL CAN'T GET THE GEAR OUT :devil . I in fact have (2) 306 housings, and can't get either gears out. 1 I have the handle off one, the other is buggered and won't come off. I have soaked them with penetrating fluid, inside the housing for two days. Any suggestions?? To lift them out. :help:

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 pm • #  

Hey Don!

I am not a reel mechanic, but I will offer a suggestion for your consideration...

Is there a way you can rig up a pressure type of situation that will allow you to press it out???

Sort of like a reverse gear puller, if not a power press or an adaption to a drill press that would allow downward pressure...

I think slow continuous pressure coupled with something like "Gum Out" or another strong solvent might work, include heat here too...

Trying to help,
Reely

P/S: Naturally you would not use an open flame around inflammables...Even if you are desperate!!! :sHa_lol: :sHa_lol: :sHa_lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm • #  

reely,
I am not a reel mechanic either, I am quite the novice. There is no where to grip to pull it. Also there is a 2nd gear for the reverse under it. I don't think any of the loosener, is getting to the shaft.
I'll clean it up and try a heat gun on it.
Thanks for your help!

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 pm • #  

Don,

The pinion on the 306 comes out the front of the body. sometimes you have to take a small hardwood dowel and place one end of the dowel on the pinion gear inside the body and tap it forward....actually, sometimes it takes a few good whacks. Sorry to be late to the game - at Camp in Maine for the last two weeks fishing..no connectivity! Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply