Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Paint
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 am • #  

Hello all, I'm new here and wondered if anyone can offer advice on repainting some of my precious old reels that I've had since the early 70's. My oldest Mitchell match was in a plastic container that got flooded and unbeknown to me corroded and suffered heavy paint damage one winter. Incidentally, this shows 'Garcia Mitchell' and 'Match' on the housing, but unfortunately I cannot read or find a model or serial number anywhere. Sure I got this in 1974 but could it be older? :help:

Post subject: Re: Paint
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm • #  

Hi wag.

I found that automotive engine enamel in a spray can works well. In black it's available in flat, satin, semi-gloss and gloss. Try the semi-gloss or satin.

Engine enamel, once fully cured in about a week is very durable and will withstand grease, oil, gasoline, WD40, etc. Make sure your reel parts are very clean before painting.

ED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:09 am • #  

Excellent idea Mr Dolphin, I'll have a trial run on one of my 300's before I do the Match. Thank you for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm • #  
Administrator

You can see your reel at http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/501-440-441-garcia-mitchell-match

Regards,
Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:52 am • #  

Wag wrote:
Hello all, I'm new here and wondered if anyone can offer advice on repainting some of my precious old reels that I've had since the early 70's. My oldest Mitchell match was in a plastic container that got flooded and unbeknown to me corroded and suffered heavy paint damage one winter. Incidentally, this shows 'Garcia Mitchell' and 'Match' on the housing, but unfortunately I cannot read or find a model or serial number anywhere. Sure I got this in 1974 but could it be older? :help:

Greetings, new member here as well.

I'm currently going through two 302's. My father's reel has a lot of oxidation showing through the paint on the head and spool.

I'm planning a repaint after removing the all paint and preparing the base metal. I plan to use this gloss black baking lacquer:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1143.aspx

I have used this lacquer in past on firearms parts and I'm fairly confident that it will work of metal reel parts against corrosion. This coating is pretty indestructible; caustic paint remover will not touch it.

- Paul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:17 pm • #  

I've been advised to use Evinrude outboard engine paint as it's the nearest dark blue available. My biggest concern now, is how to mask off the 'match' lettering thus preserving the white after a respray.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 pm • #  

Hello Wag, l have to agree with Paul that lacquer will give you a harder finish than enamel ,although you may need more than one coat. I touched up a 50 year old Gretch guitar I have from the mid 60s with black lacquer and it turned out great, but in the end it's your decision. Good luck on your restoration and if you figure out how to mask off the lettering let me know . Regards, John in Pa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm • #  

Dear Paul,

I thought the lacquer might be a good idea but it looks like Brownells has discontinued the gloss and matte black and the other colors are on sale. Looks like a close out on the paint?

ED

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm • #  

dolphin3111 wrote:
Dear Paul,

I thought the lacquer might be a good idea but it looks like Brownells has discontinued the gloss and matte black and the other colors are on sale. Looks like a close out on the paint?

ED

I was hoping to use the gloss black on the head and spool of a 302 that I want to restore for use.

Looks like I'm going to have to go the NOS parts route.

Edit 1: If you have an airbrush or small touch-up gun, it looks like they're still available in non-aerosol form.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... 20475.aspx
These look discounted as well. Move quickly!

Edit 2: I just placed my order for some baking lacquer. Discount codes for Brownells can be found here:
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/brownells.com
Discount code paid for the shipping costs.

- Paul

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply