Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:04 pm • #  

Hello Everyone,
Apologies if this topic has been aired before. had a problem with the bale on my Mitchell Match recently. Just thought it was the spring that was faulty, and so I went ahead and replaced it. Still a problem existed.Eventually I realised it must be the trip lever, and so I have one on order. The interesting point is that when I goggled it, the actual issue was being discussed, and as a point for reference, diagrams from a book were shown. Would anyone have an idea what that book might be, and if so, is it available. The text was in English, however, next to it there appeared to be the same version but in French. Does that ring any bells? The only book I am aware of is the one from Jim's reel shop that covers the auto bail models. Could that be it I wonder? Thanks guys for any help in this matter. Kind Regards, Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mike,

I think you are looking for a Mitchell SAV catalog with exploded views and technical diagrams.
I hope some mates have the 330 section in English.

regards,

Dries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:24 pm • #  

HI Dries,

Thank you very much for supplying the info I requested. I have no knowledge of this literature, and will try to explore further my options. One of the great joys of Mitchell ownership, is the fact that you can investigate the inner workings of the reel, and if you are careful, correct any issues yourself. That said,it's really helpful to know that ones intended improvements/ repairs are on the right tracks. Such a book would seem to me to guide you in your pursuits, and prevent obvious pitfalls.Once again, I very much appreciate your contribution. Kind Regards,Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm • #  
Global Moderator

hello Mike,

It,s a pleasure to help , I have some SAV papers but in Dutch...
Will ask around for one in English.

regards,

Dries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:07 am • #  

James Partridge released an auto-bail book in 2009. " The Mitchell Match and Auto Bail Book". Pictures, diagrams and literature on those reels. Covers from beginning to end. Excellent book to have.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

A reference book with patent designs, schematics, regular and prototype reels ( <<<< I believe)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:06 pm • #  

Hello Kim,

Thanks very much for your input. I have seen this book advertised for some time now, and was thinking about obtaining it. As I stated in my opening letter, I love getting involved in the maintenance work, like the idea of being hands on, and find it immensely rewarding. Having said that, it has been a trial and error experience, and therefore any book that offers guidance in this area would be a bonus.Does this book have instructive examples on how to set up the reels correctly ie.as per factory/ official guidelines? Regards, Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:22 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mike,

I have been looking around for an English SAV catalog at the Euro tackle show but only found the Dutch and French ones.

The auto bail book from James doesn,t have a trouble shooting page but it,s a nice book to have.

Will post the page of the 330 from the SAV catalog in Dutch later on .

regards, Dries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:35 pm • #  

Hello Dries,
Thank you once again for your input. Look forward to seeing that particular document. Any thing that helps is always a bonus. With regards the book, seems to me like the kind of gift a good husband could possibly look forward to opening on Christmas morning. Suspect I will begin the hinting as soon as we hit December time. Great talking again, kind regards, Mike.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply