Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell dealer kits
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm • #  

I was wondering what the difference is in the no.820 kit and the no.840 kit is. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Also any parts lists for these kits as well. Thank you! Regards, Nick Papesh

Post subject: Re: Mitchell dealer kits
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 pm • #  

If I haven't said so already :sSig_welcome4:

Good question. I have a Salt Water Kit No.840 but don't know the difference between the two. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answer.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:31 am • #  

The kits are numbered for which reel you want to service in the field or whenever. Salt water, Fresh water, left and right handed. 300, 304, etc. Go in the gallery section on this site and look up kits. Many pictures there. The numbers changed over the years as they first were made and the last. Hope this helps. I have a few of the last ones released in Europe with the plastic orange case.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:41 pm • #  

Nick,

Here is my Mitchell No.820 Kit. I believe this was a sales/repair kit - not for the average small sport shop but a larger distributorship's sales people / agents. Certainly not available to the general public. I have not found any reference or advertising in the Garcia Tackle Catalogs either. As you can see mine is not complete and the outside "gator hide" covering is well worn but the inside trays and finish is quite nice. I would love to have a parts list for this kit in hope of populating it to original should anyone find one. I have not seen a No.840 Kit but Randy's has Salt Water Reel parts and my 820 has a number of 300 / 308 parts, so perhaps the 840 serviced Salt water and the 820 serviced fresh water???
Attachment:
Mitchell Kit 820.jpg
Attachment:
Mitchell Kit 820-1.jpg
Attachment:
Mitchell Kit 820-2.jpg

Interesting topic :sCo_hmmthink:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 pm • #  

Chris, I agree with everything you say about the Kits. The No.840 Kit is for Salt Water reels only. The parts/boxes marked with a red piece of tape are for 303 reels. There are many NOS parts in this Kit and I was very lucky to get them. There are no parts for the Half Bail Salt Water though - dang!

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:05 pm • #  

Hi Randy,

A VERY nice 840 kit :sSig_youtheman: thanks for posting the photos . Hope to have mine stocked like that some day. So, I think we have answered Nick's question now only to find parts listings for the 820 and 840 :sAng_banghead2:

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:27 pm • #  

Hello Mates. Thanks for posting the nice kit pics. I too have a couple of 820 kits and some others but sorry no pics handy right now. Mine vary in conditions and also contain alot of NOS Mitchell Parts. I've not seen any parts lists. I believe Wallace once mentioned that probably one could have ordered there kits stocked with what they thought they would need in their reel service/upgrade work. Nice additions to any Mitchell collection. Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:39 am • #  
Global Moderator

hello Randy ,

Very nice parts kit !
I only have the red cardboard box for the 302 and thought that was rare ...

regards, Dries :tup

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply