Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: "NOISE" from reels?????
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 pm • #  

Have been using Mitchell reels exclusively for 30+ years. I recently did a complete disassembly and cleaning of 2 reels. They have the 4- prong spool and chevron anti-reverse lever. I have done quick cleanings before and with so-so results. As long as the reels worked I was happy. After the cleaning of 2 reels I noticed a difference in the "silent" mode. Both made a little noise but 1 stood out. A more of a subtle "grinding". Question: when all shims are correct do you still get some noise from the reel in the silent mode?? With all the gears spinning I would think you would have that quiet noise while turning the handle. People here have posted "smooth as silk" but what about the noise. One is very very smooth, but the other has a little grinding. Have tried shimming and no shimming but still the grinding. That reel by the way has a replaced housing I put on due to busted leg. Any help is appreciated....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sCo_hmmthink: :help:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:58 am • #  

Hello.

Given that you replaced the housing, that particular reel has to re-shimmed from scratch. The reel is shimmed for the old housing, not the new one.

A few thousands of an inch in the right place can make the difference between a little grinding and quite smooth.

The other reel which now has just a bit of noise after cleaning may be missing a shim that got missed during re-assembly...there's a good chance that it's a pinion gear shim.

Though sometimes even if properly shimmed, you may get some slight whirring sound due to some wear on the rotor bushing. One newer/user reels, you can just get a NOS rotor. With a collector reel, especially an older one, you may just have to live with it unless you stumble on to an older NOS part that matches the early reel.

Last edited by Smead on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:03 am • #  

Here's the shimming sequence I use where there's noise after cleaning a newly acquired 3xx/4xx egg bodied style reel.

Quote:
It's best to have the 3 standard shim thickneses for each shim point: 0.10mm/.004", 0.15mm/.006" and 0.20mm/.008".

Shims in other thicknesses can be encountered, bit these were used by Mitchell factory assembly to get a reel just right.

I start out with (1) 0.10mm/.004" shim at the housing-rotor junction...with the reel clean and unlubed.

Then you take up the slack with baffle plate shims, the baffle washer and baffle plate...without the rotor hex nut tightening down on any of that, which would jam the rotor. If you have a full range of shim thicknesses, you can get it down to .001'-.002" of it/out rotor motion...while allowing the rotor to free spin.

The rotor nut tightens when it runs out of thread...done right, there is no pressure on the baffle plate, washer, baffle or head shims.

You don't want to get too radical with housing/rotor shims because having a lot also pushes the line guide forward along with the rotor it's attached to and you get horrible line lay.

One thing to check before even beginning is that the trip tongue cutout on the baffle plate is level...other wise you will have it banging on the trip lever when it shouldn't be.

If you do the above and the trip is banging, continuing to add baffle washers until there's no banging, the rotor is free spinning and the trip lever works...too many baffle shims will eventually jam the rotor.

If that happens, take it all apart and add another shim to the housing/rotor junction and begin again.

Again, having all three shim thicknesses is extremely helpful.

Then move to the pinion gear shim point. You'll need at least one 0.10mm/.004" shim there, assemble and check for roughness/noise. If so, add another shim.

It might occur that it's still rough right up to the point of jamming the pinion gear into the rotor gearing. At that point you should try a different pinion gear and start from scratch with the pinion gear shimming.

If it still is loud/rough....a new rotor is required...if it's a very old reel, you may just have to live with what you have.

The roughness you feel/hear is from the rotor/pinion gear engagement. Messed up teeth on the other gears are more likely to cause a catching/snagging sensation while cranking...but not a horrendous noise.

Then you have to realize that in most cases you are not working with all brand new parts...maybe a mixture of old and new, or even all old with varying degrees of wear.

But if you get the housing/rotor right first, everything is easier...to include not ending up with a reel that is smooth, but lays line terribly.

I find that I rarely use a main gear shim except on older reels where the main gear can graze the housing cover. At a certain point, Mitchell had the cover oilite bushing protrude slightly and solved that issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:08 pm • #  

Thanks for the help SMEAD. Will tear the noisy one down first. No shims were missed as I kept them separate while disassembling reel. A shim here or there could have been missing from the previous owner. The new housing being shimmed from scratch makes sense. Too close to the problem. I have a lot of NOS parts for the 301's as I knew I would be fishing with them for many years. Just have to crack open the bags and use them. Will post on the outcome. Thanks again.....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sSig_youtheman:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 am • #  

You are most welcome!

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply