Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: To paint or not to paint
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:10 pm • #  

Been awhile since I last 'stepped foot' here. Move to Wilmington NC and still getting settled.

My pressing question is: what do people think of a total paint redo on decent, usable Mitchells? Not collector quality, just work horse reels. In particular I'm considering redoing some 302's and 306's for the salt water market here.

Fire engine red, mustang blue, etc.

I know I've seen this done but can't remember who or where.

Enquiring minds, etc.
Gary

Gary Roberts
Wilmington, NC
The Toolemera Press
http://toolemera.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Gary,
I'm glad to see you back!
From my perspective, I like reels that look like they came from the factory, but I've see evidence on ebay of a lot of buyers going after some salt water size reels that have been hot-rodded with flashy paint jobs, holes drilled in the spool to lighten it, and big spherical knob handles.
They get pretty good money for them.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 pm • #  

Hi Gary,

There is a seller on eBay that regularly has "custom" painted and "be-dazzled" Mitchell 300s - I'm not sure if the person has actually sold any and it's their choice to do what they want - they might even be a very nice person. Don't know, but my personal opinion (for what that's worth), is I wouldn't buy one - but that's my choice. As a Mitchell enthusiast and a collector, I would prefer to fish an old "war horse" that has earned and wears it's stripes proudly but still operates flawlessly in the Mitchell fashion. Kind of like painting a Rolls Royce hot pink with polka-dots - it's still a Rolls, but I wouldn't drive it. Only my opinion though.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
Here's an example of what I was talking about.
Ted Lanham

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-GARCIA-M ... 7675.l2557

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:18 am • #  

Hello Everyone . Well in my o pion If the reel is collectible or maybe not so , odd serial number what ever no paint touch ups in any way , as is original battle scars and all But I cant see a problem in giving a old Mitchell a modern day make over , Groovy paint job ,slotted and drilled bits new knob even internal stuff why not there are plenty of people on this planet that do that sort of thing to themselves. Cheers Fishabout.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply