Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:03 pm • #  

I have a Garcia Mitchell 300 from the 1970s which I took apart and cleaned. Now, when applying the anti-pawl, the reel can still be reversed. There is a great deal of grinding noise coming from the reel. At first I thought the anti-pawl was not properly engaging, but when I take it apart, it is apparent the anti-pawl remains engaged.

The problem seems to come from the mating of the Pinion Gear and the Main Gear Drive. By manually rotating the pinion gear, it seems to slip and grind. On examining the pinion gear, I don't see any wear on the gear teeth, nor do I find wear on the main gear drive teeth. Both look normal, but there is definite slippage between the two.

Note that all three washers are intact and placed beneath the pinion gear. The pinion gear does not wobble on the post.

Do I need a new pinion gear, main gear drive, or both? Is it possible to buy one or both gears? Is this a really expensive proposition, or even if it is affordable, is it advised?

Finally, I have a right-hand unit that I could rob parts from to use in this, possibly. Since I don't envision using the right-hand unit, I don't mind using it for parts if that is advisable.

Please advise. Thanks for your excellent instrucitons!

ISTDOC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 pm • #  

I believe your pinion gear may be sitting too high. I would reduce to 1 shim and test. possibly add 2nd and test.

If the anti reverse isn't corrected during this I would make sure it is seated properly and engaging/disengaging properly with its lever.

If your gears aren't worn/chipped/broken there shouldn't be a need to replace.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:05 pm • #  

I tried the pinion gear with 1, 2, and 3 washers, but the same problem recurred. I think, at this point, there is nothing wrong with the setting of the pinion gear, but it is actually the anti-pawl that seems to be moving up and down in the case. Any tips on how to reseat it correctly?

I have rebuilt 5 of these Mitchell 300's correctly, and this is the last one I've got for rebuild/repair. This also happens to be the one I used the most. Before rebuiliding, it wa eperiencing this same problem. I had to do some serious work inside, but I don't believe I upset any parts by doing that. Any additional help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

ISTDOC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 pm • #  

Could you post a picture?

The only other time I've had slipping was when I put no shim or the wrong shim under the rotor.

So if you could post a picture it would help immensely.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply