Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Abused Mitchell 314
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:51 pm • #  

Hi Reel people ;-)

I'm having a problem with my recently aquired 314.

The exterior of the reel is in resonable state, but the interior shows some wear.

The bushing on the cover plate is worn out, and main gear axle wobbles suficiently to allow the hande to hit que bail wire when they hapen to meat at the same point.

I know that I could try to find a new cover plate, but I was wondering, if anybody ever tried to replace that bushing, by a machined one.

If so, do they come out easily?

Love to ear your thoghts on this.

Best regards,

Nuno Silva

Post subject: Re: Abused Mitchell 314
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:25 pm • #  

Hello again Nuno Silva,

I have never heard of anyone trying to press that bushing out and replacing it, but then again I have never seen one that badly worn :sFun_shocked: . The faceplate sleeve for the main gear is a semi-pourous bronze type material called "oilite" which I imagine is durable but on the soft side metallically so you may be able to press/drill it out but I have never seen one as a part nor am I sure you could press it back in if you did find one. Machining a new one, I would imagine be very time consuming and laborous. I would recommend a new faceplate. Additionally, I would carefully inspect the main gear shaft and handle seating surface for wear and potential replacement as well - just a suggestion.

Regards,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Abused Mitchell 314
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:51 am • #  

Hi Chris.

Thanks for your feedback.

Since the play in the bushing didn't seemed to me, to be suficient to generate this problem, because, even without that play, it would be a close call, I've been researching, and I think I found the problem.

Accuording to what I read somewhere in this forum, all reels with dashes between the model numbers (3_1_4) witch is the case, would be pre 1968, and the schematics sheet I was consulting was post 1968 :sFun_bricks:

So I whent to check the pre 1968 schematics, and realised that the reel with the handle # 81170 (witch is the case) also uses a handle washer # 59, that isn't there.
This will give the set the needed clearence not to touch each other :sFun_bananachaplin:

Now I just have to try to find that # 59 washer :sBo_bouncing2:

I'm still trying to learn how to post pictures, but I hope to get there soon.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Nuno Silva

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply