Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Need Help w/ 304 Gears
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm • #  

I have this little 304 cap s/n 310732. Found it in a misc. box of reels I bought on ebay.

Already I can see it needs the slide replaced. BUT does this need the planetary & satellite gears as well?

From the funny wear on the drive gear I'd think at one time these gears were there and poorly shimmed. But I'm going bonkers trying to figure out what this needs for sure.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:50 pm • #  

Hello nt4humnuse,

The only problem you have is you're missing the slide on the reel shaft. The two screws are still in the shaft but no slide :sFun_bricks: . Can you get the screws out of the reel shaft? If you can, remove those and PM me with your address - I'll send you a new slide and screws.
Attachment:
304 Slide.jpg

There is some wear on the Crosswind cam but that's not abnormal - the gears look fine to me. 304's are pretty simple and only had shims on the rotor under the bail trip and occasionally on the body shaft where the rotor cup gear slides into the body. I would recommend disassembly, a good cleaning, lube it and put it back together with all of the parts. The CAP/304s were almost bullet-proof - I've fished with my original Garcia Mitchell 304 for 47 years and it has never failed :sCh_fisherman: . Occasional clean /lube and it's ready to go. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:45 pm • #  

Thank you VERY much!
I will send that PM straight after this response.

Could you straighten me out because I'm still confused.
This 304 as best I can tell should fall in the 4th generation area. And I admit I only viewed about 5 schematics but the only one I seen without the extra gears is the earliest dated model.

Potentially has this reel had a gear swap? Or have I read things wrong and been chasing my tail on this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 pm • #  

Hi nt4humnuse,

Some of the earlier 304s and all of the 314s had planamatic gearing which had a planetary gear and a satelite gear fitted in the main drive gear. Most of the 304s had crosswind gearing (as does yours) which had a crosswind cam fitted into the the main drive gear. The mid - later version 304/314 shared schematics. Both the crosswind cam - the disc in the main gear, and the satelite gear had a protrusion which fit into the slide. The difference between the crosswind and the planamatic is the way the shaft moved (and hence the line went on the spool) when you turned the handle=main gear. Your 304 looks perfectly normal to me once you put the slide in - mailed today so you should have the parts early next week. If you have any problems or questions, just let us know - All of the Mates are happy to help :tup .

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply