Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 am • #  

Hello,
As stated on another thread here I have 2 - GM 403's with different ends on handle side. The one on the right is an earlier version with "straight" sides. The one on the LEFT is the later version that was made for the handle utilizing a dust cap/shield that is slightly smaller end. The reel on the right has a 7 digit number that starts with 0 and nothing else, while the one on the left has a full 7 digit number. Anyone else with thoughts or comments?? When I checked Dennis Roberts VALUE GUIDE it doesn't mention the variations. First released circa 1964 up to 1977............
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sCo_hmmthink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Kim,

The first versions did not have a dust cover on the handle's axis. In my study I wrote "1st version shown with serial number 0986659 is mint in box (MIB) with matching serial numbers. What’s unique about this one is it does not have a dust cover on the handle shank where it connects to the housing. There’s also no dust cap on the handle knob’s screw. You will also see round holes on the back side of the handle’s knob."

See: http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/index.php/category/494 for more information.

Regards,
Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:20 pm • #  

Hi Wallace,
I checked my early GM 403 and the handle has holes on the back side like yours. I have 3 other loose handles that don't have these holes. Nice to know my 403 is original from factory. I bought it to use in SC salt water since it had no box and was a little dirty. Smooth as silk though. Thanks.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply