Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: REMOVING BEARING???
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:06 pm • #  

Hello,
I have a GM 303 with a very noisy bearing in the housing top where the shaft goes through. Have tried new grease and still the same. How would one remove bearing once the 2 set screws are loosened up ??? Also any tips on loosening those tiny screws. Small slot makes for tough removal. Thanks for any help...
Kim :sCo_hmmthink: :sCh_fisherman:

Post subject: Re: REMOVING BEARING???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Kim,

I once faced the same problems with a Mitchell 302 but I managed to remove the bearing .
I removed the 2 locking screws to get the bearing out ...
The 302/303 has some very little parts hidden in impossible places.
Will see in the coming days if I can take a 302 apart .

regards , Dries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 pm • #  

Dries,
How do you remove those bearings once the 2 pesky screws are loosened?? Pliers and wooden block, hammer and punch?? Thanks for any help.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PS- The body has been soaking in mineral spirits for 24+ hours in hopes of loosening screws and bearing retainer..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:57 pm • #  

Well Lady Luck was on my side. The longer of the set screws would not budge and was in danger of being stripped at the slot. I used a torch to heat the housing that holds the screw. Not blistering hot but good enough. Not my first time as I do it on my regular job. Never tried it on my beloved reels. Turned the screw in and out to loosen up the treads. Finally able to remove it completely. The bearing was next. Used channel lock pliers and metal piece to squeeze the bearing out. Cleaned area and am waiting for new bearing to arrive and complete repair. Even though I have owned Mitchells since 1974 I have never gone through a complete take down and lube plus repair. Goes to show you that if you take care of your reels they will last a good long time....
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sFun_bananachaplin: :sBo_bounce2: :sBo_bounce2:

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply