Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 pm • #  

Hello,
Am prepping my reels for upcoming salt & fresh water fishing. I purchased some new NOS handles that come with a flat metal washer that goes on threaded ends of handle where it connects to reel. Are they really necessary to use with handle?? Some of my other reels don't have these washer/shims. The older handle's end don't interfere or bind with the turning of the handle. I will still use the washers but curious if actually needed. Also some handles have a "dust cup" with this washer permanently attached. Thanks for any help....
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm • #  

What kind of reels? Saltwater reels and the 306/406 reels require the washers as handle shims. Without them, the knobs can be too close to the bails and can touch. Freshwater reels like 300 style, 308 style dont use the shims.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 pm • #  

Thanks for reply. I am using 307's, 387, 303 & 403 reels. When I was checking my 403 after lube job I compared it to another 403. That 403 had a slightly smaller housing on the end where the handle screwed in and a dust cup fit neatly there. Somewhere during the production run Mitchell must have modified the housing for the dust cap. Will have to check references. I know if the caps don't belong on that reel the reel will bind. Easy solution is to remove the cap and wind handle onto reel. Thanks again..........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply