Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:40 pm • #  

Hi all...I'm David.

I sold a Mitchell 406 recently on Ebay.

The reel was functioning as I described it in my auction.

Once the buyer received it, he claims that it is "froze up" and wants to return it.

I then accused him of potentially shipping back a different reel to me that IS "froze up".

It's dang difficult for me to believe that this happened during shipment. And I am POSITIVE that the reel was in working order when I shipped it.

That said, could cold temps here in Wisc AFTER shipping have caused the grease in it to get so bad as to cause the freeze-up?

Thanks ahead of time to any of you who may respond.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:33 pm • #  

Did you record the serial number on the bottom of the foot??? Do you have close up pictures of the reel??? In all my years of buying these reels none have ever come in frozen from shipping. Stiff as heck from old grease. YES. Tell them you recorded serial number and go from there. If you find that they shipped back the wrong serial number then you will report them to ebay. Was there line on the spool and tied off?? This could "jam" the reel when trying to crank it so just cut the line. Does anti-reverse work?? Let us know how it ends. Hope this helps.
Kim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:54 pm • #  

Thank you for your reply Kim.

He removed the side cover and found that a portion of the oscillation block had broken off and is jammed between the main shaft and the main gear.

This is odd as before I listed it I had flipped the bail 10+ times and turned the handle well over 50 times.

The only "tight / sticky" part of the reel was the anti-reverse switch. I moved it back and forth 10-20 times to help loosen it up. It was the last thing I did with the reel.

I wonder if that could have caused the block to crack? :sCo_hmmthink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:38 pm • #  

Sounds to me that the spool had been pushed in hard during transit causing the axle to be pushed in snapping the oscillator. Its happened to me on several of those when someone puts some heavy packages on top of the pile.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply