Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:38 pm • #  

Guys,
I have been a Mitchell 300 devotee since my teens. I am now 72 years young, and heading for Florida this winter to fish our golf course ponds for ol' bucketmouth. We fish Zara Spooks exclusively because topwater is a blast, and fishing plastic underneath is sorta' like cheating. I use my trusty 300 with a 15 lb braided line that casts like 4 lb mono. I have always maintained that the movement of the spool winds the line on in a way that enhances casting distance. And with a 1/2 or 5/8 oz spook on the end of that braided line, it casts incredible distances, and allows me to hit the far shoreline when I see a pod of bass on patrol. As a sidebar, it's amazing to witness the cooperative hunting with the herons and egrets. When the bass are in close, the birds are right there at the shoreline, moving with them. When the pod makes a rush, some of the baitfish get stranded on shore - and everybody wins; including yours truly - they murder that spook, hit it with wild abandon. And all catch and release. Only thing is, one has to be vigilant for water moccasins and gators - almost stepped on a ten foot gator in high grass last year, scared the crap outta' me. Anyway, I digress. The reason I signed up for this forum is because I have about 8 Mitchells. I buy them on E-Bay and give them to friends, and grandkids of friends - always with the admonition, "This is the best designed reel you'll ever hold in your hands". My question - I have a need for Mitchell 300 side plate screws. The good folks that sell their wares on E-Bay want a fortune for them. anybody know where I can get replacement screws at a reasonable price? Many thanks - and I'm going to enjoy reading everybody's posts.

Post subject: Re: Mitchell 300
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Terry,

Welcome to the site and to the group! What a nice story you have provided to us. What you are doing is what fishing is all about. Thank you for all your generosity. As for the screws, I have two suggestions. 1) Unfortunately EBAY is a really good place to find parts. There are two vendors that I trust both in reputation and in quality. Their EBAY ID's are troutick and jeffccb. I would try to contact them with your story and see if they have the screws. Maybe you can negotiate on price. 2) Look for large lots of parts reels and take what you need to make other whole. Another option is to see if a fellow enthusiast here on our site has some spare screws to share. I hope this helps and good luck! Cheers

Regards, Scott

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply