Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 330 in trouble!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:23 pm • #  
I removed the pick up control assembly and trip lever for cleaning on an old Mitchell 330. Is there a certain way the gear teeth must mesh in order to have these parts reinstalled correctly?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:08 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Micky,

There is a certain way to fix it .
I know that the whole procedure is written in the SAV catalog (1976) .I only have it in Dutch ..
Maybe one of the mates is able to post this page from a Garcia SAV catalog .
Attachment:
018.JPG

regards, Dries

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 am • #  

I am not sure how to enter my previous description of aligning the teeth of the 330 bail mechanism but if you type in 330 under search it will come up. Hope it helps you. The 330 has got to be my most favourite reel for all round fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:43 am • #  
toulady6 wrote:
Hello Micky,

There is a certain way to fix it .
I know that the whole procedure is written in the SAV catalog (1976) .I only have it in Dutch ..
Maybe one of the mates is able to post this page from a Garcia SAV catalog .
Attachment:
018.JPG

regards, Dries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:46 am • #  
Thank you for sending the document on the Mitchell 330. It was very helpful just looking at the illustrations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:46 am • #  
I finally had time to work on my Mitchell 330. Referring the document you provided, I adjusted the clearance between the rotating head inside diameter and the trip lever bearing roller with the bail closed and the pick up control assembly stowed against its stop, both screws snugged down and reinstalled the baffle plate. Initially, I set the clearance to 2.5mm (.090); however, the rotating head would not turn continuously throughout its 360 degrees of travel; it would stop at one location where I suspect the roller was incorrectly striking the plastic cam on the underside of the baffle plate. I set the clearance again to about .040 and now the rotating head turns continuously. Also, with the bail open, the clearance between the center shaft of the housing and roller is about .040. After I reassembled the reel, it functional test good. With a touch of the index finger to open the bail, the bail closes smoothly when the reel handle was turned. I bought this reel for 4 dollars. Completely disassembled and cleaned it, replaced the trip lever spring and pick up control spring, lubricated and reassembled. Works great!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:05 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Micky,

I,m glad it worked out for you .
enjoy the reel ..

regards, Dries

Last bumped by anonymous on Fri May 08, 2015 9:05 pm.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply