Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Mitchell 324 Headache
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 am • #  

Hi. I'm new here. I have a bail spring problem with a Garcia Mitchell 324. I've never really had a problem getting a reel back together ...but this ..is making me crazy. Looks so simple. Nope. Instructional videos for other Mitchells seem not to apply for this model. I'll make a couple pictures, post them, and hope somebody here can offer something helpful.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 am • #  

Hope these help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Rebeltheuncanny,

We will look for the photo's and try to help mate. Welcome to the group!

Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:31 am • #  

Thank you. Spring is in good shape, the little spring ends (both the straight up and outwards one) line up when at rest. Bail arm isn't bent. I've tried placing the spring in both of the notches. Perhaps it has to be wound a little past where I've tried. I didn't want to foul it up worse though. Again, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Rebeltheuncanny,

When installing the bail wire and attaching the screws realize the spring will have to be under tension to work correctly. You will have to set the spring into the seat on the rotor cup, then fit the spring nipple into the bail wire and then flip the bail wire creating tension on the spring, whilst that is happening you will need install the screw. After the the bail works corrrectly then attach the smaller 2nd screw to the other side of the rotor. Hope this is clear :tup

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm • #  

Yessir. I tried to put it under tension ..several different ways. I watched the model 300 video that one of the gentleman here posted and thought "yep that's how thought it should go." but, there's 2 notches. I can see what direction the spring tension needs to move in, but darned if I can figure how it's to be set. Should I use both notches to put the tension in and then sit the bail on there? Twist it around once the upright end is already in the little bail hole? I know I'm wearing my newness a little thin here lol, but any "left notch, right turn etc, etc" directions would be most welcome. Yes, I'm a little redfaced to admit defeat lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm • #  

Hi Rebeltheuncanny,

Not to worry...most all of us on this site have been in your situation at least once - and some of us several times!! Holding your reel just as in your pictures, the flat side of the spring goes in the upper right slot (2 o'clock) position in the spring shroud and centered over the screw stud and should protrude slightly through the notch. Take your bail and rotate it until the wire is back toward the reel and then insert the upper facing prong of the spring into the hole on the bail. Rotate the bail wire around, keeping the screw hole in the bail and the hole in the screw stud on the rotor relatively lined up, until the bail wire is up toward the reel seat. The bail lock should engage at this point but don't let go yet!!! Line up the screw holes and insert the large bail screw and tighten firmly but not over tight. Line up the small screw side of the bail and insert the screw the same way. You should now have a fully functioning bail. It may take a few tries.....never admit defeat!! LOL!

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:06 pm • #  

Thanks a MILLION you guys! I'm going to sit down with the reel and try it right now. Will return.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:23 pm • #  
good luck with the spring, hears one i have worked on, got me hands on a 324, ser number 0779017, for a fiver, work ok, "BUT", the counter weight is not heavey anuff, it wobbaled so drilled it out, weighed it, 10g, so got some lead, and kept putting some in untill the wobbal went, 18g of lead, so cut some lead to shape, glued it in but could only fit 16g, reel now 262g with out spool in, it works, now without the big wobble :sHa_clap2:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:38 am • #  

that last post should have been me, did log in but came out as a guast crazy crab

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply