Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:26 am • #  

I have bought several old reels that I have been afraid to clean up. I'm wanting to know the best cleaner to use on old Mitchell reels that won't harm the paint.

Thanks,
Ron :tup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey cactusjack,
Most of the time when I need to clean up an old Mitchell, I just use Dawn detergent with warm water and a toothbrush. If the grime is really hard to get off, I'll go after it with some mineral spirits, then use the Dawn/warm water solution. After cleaning, wipe the reel down with either a light oil, or silicone. This has always worked for me. :sFun_oldguy:
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:03 am • #  

Thanks for the info Ted! None of my reels have too much gunk to clean up so I think the dish soap will do. :sFun_crazydance:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:56 pm • #  

Hi Ron and Ted,

Just returned from my annual hunting trip at my cabin in Maine and catching up on the site. :sCh_fisherman: trip is in May.

While there are no doubt thousands of methods for cleaning Mitchells and probably very few that are wrong, here's mine: I get WD-40 by the gallon at Lowes/Home Depot and put it in a spray bottle. I wipe the majority of the grease off with shop paper towels and clean out the body grease with a very small plastic spatula (art supply store) during disassembly. Using a parts tray and a soft tooth brush, I scrub all the gunk off inside and out once disassembled and in the tray. Also found a denture toothbrush (Oral B) which is smaller, with soft fine bristles and pointed, works wonders in getting the old gunk out of the Mitchell engraving. Once everything is clean, wipe down, grease where necessary and reassemble. Buff the exterior of the reel with a soft cloth......looks like new. If the reel is filled with old/dry grease :nono , as you do Ted - a good soaking in mineral spirits and then the WD-40 treatment.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:53 pm • #  

I use "Trix" which is in Europe, not too much like you would add in the hand dishwashing sink, with a good soaking for 2/3 hours, I use a nail brush only on the grease area, gears and those little hideaway holes, and when finished I take out, lay of a cut sized carboard (Box) to dry.

Then use a damp cloth to remove any parts I missed, and then a dry cheese-cloth and give it a good BUFF.

They come up like new, (Unless you have past scratches, peeling of paint.

Never trust some who say acitone or paint thinners, thats BS

Cheers
Col

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:23 am • #  

WD40 or other Motor Water Displacement is full of Fish Oil which is a mover of water and WD has some chemicial in it that eats away paint.

Best way is next time you get paint on your hands spray WD40 on it and wipe if off with a cloth.

So, Yes it would take off paint from reels

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:03 pm • #  

Pat,

That's good information on WD-40 and the raised letter Mitchell reels - Sorry for your experience. All of my reels are engraved (Mid 70s and earlier) so I had no experience there.

After cleaning over 100 engraved Mitchells, I have never removed any paint. Mineral spirits and paint thinner won't remove the paint from the engraved Mitchells so I don't believe WD-40 will either.

WD-40 will remove paint from your hands - but it won't if you prime them, spray on a high quality laquer and then bake them in the oven at 400 deg. for a couple of hours :sHa_yes:

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:18 am • #  

Lostinfrance2014 wrote:
WD40 or other Motor Water Displacement is full of Fish Oil which is a mover of water . . .

Sorry, but not true: http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legend ... acts/#fish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:13 pm • #  

nunc wrote:
Lostinfrance2014 wrote:
WD40 or other Motor Water Displacement is full of Fish Oil which is a mover of water . . .

Sorry, but not true: http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legend ... acts/#fish

I now have around 15 reels all from the early 1950 to 1965. I ended up washing the outside down with wd40 on most and it has no effect of paint whatsoever. For the inside parts I have been using Goo Gone.

:hat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:25 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello to all,

I have been using WD-40 for over 30 years and have cleaned, wiped and left a thin coating remaining on my reels all the time. After probably doing thousands of reels I have never once experienced paint loss on a Mitchell reel. The downside is the thin coating of WD-40 is a great attraction for dust collection if you leave your reels out in the open for display, so you will be wiping them down periodically. As a cost savings only I use the WD-40 liquid from a 1 gallon can and not the aerosol. The carrier fluid along with the WD-40 has no affect. I agree with Chris here. Now I can see possible interactions with a repainted reel that was not prepared properly before painting. The Mitchell paint is really built to last and has proven that by it's longevity in the market place.
:sHa_clap2:

Cheers, Scott

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply