Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm • #  

Recently picked up a 308 an the bail was not solidly locking open. From reading here I checked the bail wire alignment by removing the non spring loaded end of the bail wire and it seemed fine.
I decided to replace the trip lever spring. While removing the trip lever the screw hit the floor and went to the land of never seen again parts. I ordered a new spring and screw. This new screw is different with a bushing it sits down in. I installed the parts and loaded tension on the straight leg of the spring behind the trip lever.
Now the situation I tried to fix is worse. I can hold the bail open and manually operate the trip lever and it appears to operate fine.
Obviously I am doing something wrong. Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.
THANKS

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm • #  

You were provided that crappy Taiwan era reel trip lever kit. :nono

Still, we may be able to trouble shoot a bit.

If you have spring tension on the lever, everything being clean & lubed and you checked that non line guide side of the bail for alignment; either the lever is bent a bit so that it doesn't click into it's slot on the bail, or the slot on the bail is rounded off.

That old style bail is pretty robust though, the later multi-piece bails were not as wear resistant; so I'm thinking that the trip lever is blocked somehow so as to prevent the full travel. There are 2 trip lever styles, a solid one and an older version with a swinging arm...but each can get bent on either end.

Slowly open the bail by hand and see what happens. Sometimes its just a matter of the outside end being twisted so it won't snap into the slot on the bail...just carefully bend it so that it will fit. If it stops before even reaching the bail slot, the hang up point is on the other end where it goes under the rotor.

One silly thing that does get some people is that you can't cock the bail if when you do the trip lever is hitting the trip lug on the housing...just turn the rotor a bit.

If the above doesn't work...we will require a picture!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm • #  

Thanks
My release lever has the swing arm and this bail appears to be a one piece to my untrained eye. Reel has a 5 digit serial number with no letter. When I open the bail the nose of the swing arm goes inside the bail. The exterior (outside of the bail) piece of trip lever does not seat into the groove in the bail arm. I gently bent it, but no improvement.
Any advice on a reputable repair shop that will fix it with non Taiwan parts.
This is going to be a graduation gift so I want it done right as he has a fishing trip planned.
THANKS

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm • #  

there may be someone in your area that does such work...no guarantee of fast and inexpensive if they do.

If you do have that 2 piece trip lever and the outside end can't get to the slot on the bail, I suspect that the problem is in the short swing arm, the portion that goes into the slot in the rotorhub.

These can't get bent and jam in the slot so that travel stops. If travel stops on that end, the other end stops moving too and can not get to the slot on the bail.

Some possibilities.

Ensure that with that screw and washer/bushing, the trip lever can travel fully...either with or without the spring...it should be level and loose with the screw and washer tight.

Replace the trip lever if you have extra parts...the one piece trip lever will work just as well.

Remove the existing trip lever and check that short arm to see that it isn't bent or twisted. If it is, gently flatten/straighten. You'll know when you get it right because you'll see full travel...the end will go it's required amount into the rotor, and the other end will reach the bail and lock.

When do you have to have that reel ready to go??

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm • #  

Tried all and still striking out. I do not have a 2nd trip lever to try.
Thinking of ordering one and trying that.
Also see a Mitchell repair location, Pure Fishing of Spirit Lake IA. Thinking maybe just sending it to them as down to 5 weeks before the kids head out.
I am open to suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:27 pm • #  

Pure fishing won't be able to deal with it...they just use the Mitchell name for crap made in China.

parts are light on ebay right now.

Just PM me your address....I do believe that I have a spare set of necessary parts.

Still would be nice to see pictures...might be something wrong which I'm missing. Bail notch/lever area and inside the rotor.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:01 pm • #  

Here are some pics
Hope you see where I am doing something wrong
THANKS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm • #  

And one more as it did not upload with the first group

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm • #  

From your last picture, the bail needs to rotate open just a bit more and then the lever should snap right into the notch. From the other two pictures, everything looks assembled right.

It that as open as the bail gets before it jams on the trip lever??

This is how it should look:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm • #  

Looking at your two pictures, mine looks like you #1. As far as #2 pic my bail opens all the way and exterior of lever drop into slot in bail, but will not hold in place. Either completely releases or holds barely along the radius of curve

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm • #  

I can see the entire bail slot and the corner that can wear looks sharp.

When the trip lever end is in the slot, is it level with the slot, even though it won't stay there?

If not, gently bend the end of the trip lever so it is level to the slot.

If the above doesn't work, it could be your trip lever spring is weak or distorted. If so, attempt to fidget with it, some times they can be manipulated to give more pressure.

It could be a combination of both.

If that doesn't work, I'll send you the single piece trip lever and the better trip lever screw rather than that cheapo screw/bushing thing. The same spring is used with both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm • #  

dilligas,

Were you able to resolve the issue with your 308....I recently found my Grandfathers old 308, and was hoping to use it on a Trout Fishing trip in a couple weeks....mine has the exact same trouble yours is having.

Just wondering if you were able to get your working correctly?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:32 am • #  

It turned out that a new trip lever was needed. He had the older one with the short swing arm...if the short arm gets beat up/bent/twisted it won't cleanly move into the rotor hub slot.

He just went with a later style one piece trip lever, but a new two piece would have worked.

Though before that was done, we confirmed that the trip lever screw was tight, the spring was in place right and that the end of the trip lever contacting the bail wasn't bent down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 am • #  

could be your trip lever spring is weak or distorted.
ดาวน์โหลด gclub ภาษาไทย

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply