300 high speed handle

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
rubiconrambler

300 high speed handle

Post by rubiconrambler »

Hello, I have a Garcia Mitchell that dates to 1959 which makes it a 6th version. The handle that came with it is a highspeed handle. At first I thought someone had switched it. After looking at some diagrams of version 6's there was a highspeed handle. Mine has high speed written on it and also has no screw that holds on the knob, looks to be pressed on. In the diagram there is no highspeed marking and has a screw that holds on the knob. Does anyone have more info on this? I try to bring back all my 300's back to the origonal configuration that they came with, Thanks, Don H. in Pollock Pines

Ted Lanham

Re: 300 high speed handle

Post by Ted Lanham »

rubiconrambler,
I'm sure that what you have is a handle off a later model Mitchell, possibly a 400, that is a high speed. Mitchell did sell a longer T-handled accessory handle in the early years, but they didn't have "high-speed" written on them. The plastic t-handle on those handles had a screw attaching them, but the screw head is under a metal cover that can be a bit difficult to remove, sometimes.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Don H.,
I agree with Ted that the high speed labeled hub handles were not for the Mitchell 300 models.

At the time 6th version reels were in production (1958 - 1967) Garcia Mitchell offered three handles.

(Note: During the time of this reel, Garcia Mitchell referred to reels for right handed people as right-hand reels and reels for left handed people as left-hand reels. Designating reels this way led to a lot of confusion. People who were left-handed, "lefties", or "south-paws", as they were called back then, would normally use a left-hand reel with the handle mounted on the right side of the reel. Both left-hand (LH) and right-hand (RH) Garcia Mitchell reel parts had different part numbers, and I have included both RH & LH versions below. Also confusing during this period, was the fact that the Mitchell 300 had several parts in-common with the Mitchell 350 reel, including handles. All of these handles have a round, ball shaped, hub. The old numbering system changed in 1969 although I am only including the original, pre-1969 part numbers here.)

MITCHELL 300 6TH VERSION REEL HANDLES
1. (Original)
Handle #: 16B Complete handle (Standard)
Handle #: 16LB Complete handle-left hand reel (Standard)
The #16B/LB handle is what came with the original reel and was designated as "Standard" on the parts list. It had a spring loaded handle lock (Like earlier models) and a plastic twist knob.
2. (Accessory)
Handle #: 816 Mitchell screw-lock handle (300 & 350), 1/4 inch longer than standard complete.
Handle #: 816L Mitchell screw-lock handle (301 & 351) left-hand, 1/4 inch longer than standard complete.
This handle, with it's longer handle shank, handle screw-lock feature, and plastic twist knob, was sold as an accessory to the reel and not an option.
3. (Accessory)
Handle #: 849 Mitchell screw-lock handle (300 & 350), 1/2 inch longer than the standard complete.
Handle #: 816L Mitchell screw-lock handle (301 & 351) left-hand, 1/2 inch longer than standard complete. This handle version with the longest shank and screw-lock handle feature had a unique handle knob shape. Many American's would refer to this handle shape as a torpedo shape, or T shape, although I have never been able to find a reference to either term in any Garcia Mitchel literature.

Ted also mentioned a very unusual occurrence that happened with this type of reel knob. Some schematics of this reel showed this handle knob with a unique knob end cap. This was called a knob lube port #81059. None of my schematics show this part until 1969 but it might have come out sooner and/or I do not have all of the schematics from 1958 to 1967. Does anyone else have any schematics showing this part earlier than 1969?
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

rubiconrambler

Post by rubiconrambler »

Thanks for the replies. I have a 400 that the highspeed handle can go on. I have about 40 300's that I have accumulated over the years. I am slowly bringing them all back to be able to be used again. I saw a version1 on ebay yesterday but it was withdrawn the next day. Don't know if it was legit or not. It was missing much of its paint which means it could have been a version one.

Thanks again,
Don H in Pollock Pines

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

rubiconrambler,

I just checked ebay and it looks like the reel you mentioned is still listed.
I can't recall ever seeing a first version listed there before and based on the pics this may be the first for me.
It should get a lot of attention.
It is at https://www.ebay.com/itm/275141850203?s ... Track=true

Regards,
Ted Lanham