best 300 fullbail

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Grahamwin

best 300 fullbail

Post by Grahamwin »

Hi Mitchell Mates - which of the full bail Mitchell's are considered to be the best ones ? I have been advised to look out for a 3rd version or a 4th version. I must admit that I do like to fish with the later made double red band 300a reels !
Grahamwin

GreatLaker

Re: best 300 fullbail

Post by GreatLaker »

Grahamwin,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum. :text-welcomeconfetti:
I feel the answer to your question is a matter of personal preference. As you may know we here at the MRM believe that there were eight, possibly nine versions of the classic Mitchell 300 as described by Wallace Carney, and wonderfully discussed, in his book: "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel 1939 - 1989". Wallace has defined the First, Second, and Third Mitchell 300 reels as all being half bail reels.
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Grahamwin,
I'm sure everybody has their own preferences, and if I had to choose just one version of the full bail models, I'd pick the full bail 4th, 5th, 6th versions. They are the ones with the boomerang shaped anti-reverse lever. Just my opinion.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what 300 would be best for salt water. Was there any Stainless Steel bails on Mitchell 300 reels? I have always had the opinion that they were fresh water only. I have seen some serious corrosion on bodies, one that sat in a boat unattended in a lake that is tidal (Porters Lake). The same fellow used to fish for Flounder with it. It was only good for some parts when I got it. Surprisingly, it had a good bail spring.

I have gone to other reels for salt, can’t find a 302 in this area. A 300 would be fine for flounder and mackerel, or anything up to about 40 pounds or so, I just don’t want to deal with the potential for corrosion. I tend to take care of my reels during the winter months.

I would even look for a Taiwan made 300, if I thought it would be better for salt water.

Best wishes, Plenty fishes

Glen in Nova Scotia

piscesman

Post by piscesman »

I would agree with Ted's evaluation. Those reels were built like a tank with smoooooooooth operation. I do use the 331 for pin point casting from our small row boat. Every year we go down to Myrtle Beach area for vacation. The MITCHELLS come with us. After fishing I thoroughly rinse them in fresh water and hang them downward to dry. NO erosion issues to date. 300 to 307's.......
Kim :twocents-02cents:

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Glen,
Perhaps this table might help. 1974 Garcia Fishing Annual
1974 Mitchell Reels Specs-edited.jpg
1974 Mitchell Reels Specs-edited.jpg (318.35 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Thanks Bill,

This is a nice chart.

Glen

don309

Post by don309 »

:text-bravo: :text-thankyouyellow:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!